Sign in to follow this  
dgreen747

AC Schnitzer

Just wondering how you tell if your BMW is a genuine AC Schnitzer? Have looked online and can't find anything about it...

Its really difficult to determine what constitutes a "genuine" schnitzer as I have discovered.

I do know that those with the engine,suspension,brake etc mods have a Schnitzer plate on the inside left door pillar & usually have a schnitzer rocker cover & possibly a serial # stamped in the block plus other id bits which I cant remember.

It seems from my research that the vast majority tho are dealer specd upgrades that have been done in dealers workshops using genuine parts & usually to customer order.

These are generally the cosmetic upgrades like wheels,steering wheels,aero kits & badging etc.

Does this constitute "genuine"-many overseas enthusiastists say yes

This,I suspect, is the category mine falls into.

I contacted AC Schnitzer & got a very pleasant email saying,unbelievably,that they dont keep records of their road cars.

This apparently has to do with the fact that the majority of Schnitzer work is(or least used to be) outsourced.

Everyone I have been in contact with overseas have concured on one point tho & that is that its bloody difficult to find accurate info on this subject.

FYI--the above is just what I garnered from my own research efforts & I dont pretend to guarantee its veracity.

I'm very happy to be corrected

Hope this helps & that you are not now as confused as me.

Thought I'd bump this one

I too am interested in others opinions on the 'genuine' dilemma

I dont think there is an dilemma really...

Sure ACS made/ makes some cars itself with a full spec... but they obviously never specified what can and cannot be done to a car with their parts. ACS additions are the only ones BMWNZ have on their own books and supply new(do they own ACS i think they might).

Because of the free distribution of ACS parts and apparent lack of model guidelines, i would say that the word 'genuine model' is a redundant term simply. 'Full blown' would be a better term when referring to whatever a full spec S5 or S3 etc is. Thus being the case, the spec sheet as opposed to the simple badge is more the thing to jerk off over.