Sign in to follow this  
mark247

Window problem

My e30s windows randomly started only working when a door is open. When both doors are closed neither of the windows open and also neither of the window switches light up, as soon as i open one of the doors the windows start to work and the switches light up.

I read that it could be some relay or something, but if it is then the fan wont work either, but my fan still works...

My central locking doesn't work either, but that hasn't worked for a while now and my windows only stopped working last night.

Anyone got any ideas on what it could be?

Cheers guys!

Guest FrantiC

You will find the issue is to do with when ONE of the door switch sensors is opened, i.e door open, a relay will click and the windows will power on, so you can play with say the driver side door switch push it in and the windows go off, let it out the switches come back on - You also hear a click coming from the glove box area each time you open or close it.

I searched for YONKS trying to find the solution for this, but all i did was remove the plastic bung bit from the door which presses and closes that switch from the driver door. With it gone, that switch will always stay open and never turn the windows off. Had it like that for a year now and it's been sweet.

The switch is between the door hinges on door frame on the chassis, the bung is on the door.

Edited by FrantiC

You will find the issue is to do with when ONE of the door switch sensors is opened, i.e door open, a relay will click and the windows will power on, so you can play with say the driver side door switch push it in and the windows go off, let it out the switches come back on - You also hear a click coming from the glove box area each time you open or close it.

I searched for YONKS trying to find the solution for this, but all i did was remove the plastic bung bit from the door which presses and closes that switch from the driver door. With it gone, that switch will always stay open and never turn the windows off. Had it like that for a year now and it's been sweet.

The switch is between the door hinges on door frame on the chassis, the bung is on the door.

Sounds like an idea. But wouldn't that cause the window switch lights to be on constantly?

Guest FrantiC

Oh yeah that's right.. Mine are on all the time. Forgot about that.

has never been an issue though, Quite handy cos you can play around with windows without the keys in and stuff.

There is always the off switch for the power windows if you are worried about draining your battery, But I have never ever had an issue with that.

So when the car is running the windows wont go down unless the doors are open?

If so I had the same problem. I checked the fuses and the one for the electric aerial was blown, so I replaced it and everything worked again. About 3 weeks later the fuse blew again, same problem again so I replaced the fuse and its been fine since.

Blair had the same problem when he did his manual conversion. Its something to do with the starter motor or something.. sh*t i dont know! Blair help us out

Guest FrantiC

Blair had the same problem when he did his manual conversion. Its something to do with the starter motor or something.. sh*t i dont know! Blair help us out

The 3rd wire found on facelift models?

There is one small wire on the starter there used to power down certain accessorys when the startermotor is engaged to focus all the power to the startermotor. Maybe it is loose? It trigger's a relay in the fuse box.

Edited by FrantiC

One of my wee door switches kept sticking open...

kept setting the alarm off at 3am... Grrr.

The 3rd wire found on facelift models?

There is one small wire on the starter there used to power down certain accessorys when the startermotor is engaged to focus all the power to the startermotor. Maybe it is loose? It trigger's a relay in the fuse box.

Its only the windows that dont work with the doors closed.. The heater fan and everything else works. So I doubt its an unloader relay problem.

Guest FrantiC

Its only the windows that dont work with the doors closed.. The heater fan and everything else works. So I doubt its an unloader relay problem.

Yeah I was just continuing on to Jason's post, clarifying the vague "something to do with the startermotor".

One of my wee door switches kept sticking open...

kept setting the alarm off at 3am... Grrr.

Cool story bro!

Yeah I was just continuing on to Jason's post, clarifying the vague "something to do with the startermotor".

Yea Im not that knowledgeable with that sort of stuff.. but thought Id throw it out there just in case! :D

Turns out it was a fuse. I didn't really expect that considering the windows still worked when the doors were open. I'm steuupid!