Sign in to follow this  
foot8sativa

Jap Vs Singapore E46

Hi, Ive seen/read that alot of people say Singapore BMWs are better than Jap ones, whats the difference

thanks

I thought both Japan and Singapore were supplied by BMW South Africa? I could be wrong. NZ new BMW cars are German made. I couldn't comment on the perceived build quality differences. They're all cars, and going to break at some point. I like NZ new, purely because it's better the devil you know! (Service history etc)

Theres really no difference in the build. The Jap - Singapore debate relates to the environments the vehicles are subjected to. Singapore vehicles have noticably faster decay of the rubbers all around the car. There's also things like most of the cars that head there have the air con blocked off. This damages the system and if the car is exported into NZ for example and the new owner wants the air con reactivated then in some cases the whole system needs an overhaul.

Jap imports are generally prefered over Singapore imports.

I don't know where singapore cars where built but Jap BMW's are assembled in Japan.

Not necessarily. Singapore cars, due to climate, are more prone to electrics/electronics failing & along with rubber/plastic degradation. Depends on age/time spent there though.

Also some not fully specced with heaters.

+ side -radio/nav/phone all the same as here. Japs all different

Jap, normally more bells/whistles but as above - some alien to rest of world.

- side - Non servicing/Tokyo traffic in some cars (same can be for Singapore though)

Bloody IR remote instead of RF :angry:

I thought both Japan and Singapore were supplied by BMW South Africa? I could be wrong. NZ new BMW cars are German made. I couldn't comment on the perceived build quality differences. They're all cars, and going to break at some point. I like NZ new, purely because it's better the devil you know! (Service history etc)

Most cars out of Germany. A lot of Jap E30's came from Africa though

Theres really no difference in the build. The Jap - Singapore debate relates to the environments the vehicles are subjected to. Singapore vehicles have noticably faster decay of the rubbers all around the car. There's also things like most of the cars that head there have the air con blocked off. This damages the system and if the car is exported into NZ for example and the new owner wants the air con reactivated then in some cases the whole system needs an overhaul.

Jap imports are generally prefered over Singapore imports.

I don't know where singapore cars where built but Jap BMW's are assembled in Japan.

Nick, Built in Germany but with Jap spec/content.

Not sure that Japan builds BMW at all but stand to be corrected

Japan does not build BMW's... they supply content like gearboxes etc to Germany for their domestic build market