Sign in to follow this  
htra024

E46 Coupe annoying noise

Kelvin... I don't mean to be rude, however I feel you are wasting your time and everyone elses in here trying to find a quick fix answer to your problem . First of all.. the problem you have with this noise has to be investigated to actually find where the noise you are hearing is actually coming from. You have been told by McMillan BMW that the subframe needs to come out. I also showed you all the movement and play in the rear subframe and rear shock mounts when we did the rear diff bush for your WOF. This may be causing the noise you are hearing...but the vehicle needs to be checked properly... and unfortunately time costs $$$ Your front lower control arms also need replacing which we investigated for you about a year ago. These are faulty aftermarket arms that jam in the outer ball joints on full lock and we have come accross these faulty arms several times before. The cost of the front arms and castor bush set is $1,000 + Labour + wheel alignment + Gst. The rear subframe repair, if that is what the noise is could cost anything from $1,000 >>>>>$$$$$ ???. If the subrame mounting points have cracked, they will need to be welded,strengthened and painted before the subframe is reinstalled with new bushes. I have heard and read that this has occured on some vehicles, however I havent seen it yet. I'm also told that this also occurs on E46's that have modified suspension with heavy duty sports shocks and coil overs with standard bushes in the subframes.......I havent seen this either. At the end of the day....it needs to be diagnosed properly first... not just a quick look while you wait and this is going to take time, which unfortunately is going to cost you money... whoever does the work.

You could try tonylauno1's repairer. Tony said he does all this for nothing for him. He might for you as well.

I just got this off from the net. Any comments or suggestions?

There are some sources saying BMW would fix it for free. Im not too sure it would exist in New Zealand.

Thanks.

KElvin

Wow, worst case is 387 FRUs, which is a lot!

That makes a 38 hour repair job!!

(1 FRU = 6 minutes or 0.1 hrs)

At $50/hr = $2,000 for labour with no parts...!!

There is no such thing as a quick fix for anything, safety should be ones main priority in any circumstances. If Glenn has shown you the movements in rear subframe and shock mounts and now you are hearing noises, don't gamble your life on it or even worst when you have friends or family in the car with you!

No one in NZ will fix subframe issues for free, especially if no one in NZ has ever dealt with these cases before.

Go to a mechanic who is experience in BMW and just pay them. The only quick fix for vehicles is when you detect the problem early; the longer you wait, the bigger the problems becomes and the more money you need to spend on both parts & labour. Who know how badly your car has deteriorated since then.

The other cheap fix is to enrol yourself at MIT to train as a mechanic then find employment in a BMW workshop to gain experience then after 5 years, you can start repairing your own BMW :)

Edited by tonylauno1