Sign in to follow this  
b mike w

how to...

hey guys I have a leaky bmw and I was just wondering if any1 knows how to pull the entire dashboard out of a E30 320i (1986). the leaks are coming from behind it somewere but i cant seem to find it so thought it might just be easier to pull the whole thing out. any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Its a PITA. Would pay to just pull the kick panels and glovebox/trim out. Then pull the carpets back and inspect from there. Look up under the aircon vents or around the bottom of the A pillars, E30s characteristically rust in those spots.

Edit: Another thing to check is the drains for the airconditioning vents. They are on the firewall inside the engine bay, sometimes they block up and let water run inside the firewall.

Edited by SIR E30

Its a PITA. Would pay to just pull the kick panels and glovebox/trim out. Then pull the carpets back and inspect from there. Look up under the aircon vents or around the bottom of the A pillars, E30s characteristically rust in those spots.

Edit: Another thing to check is the drains for the airconditioning vents. They are on the firewall inside the engine bay, sometimes they block up and let water run inside the firewall.

I have the entire carpet and glovebox out and still cant find it. have had for a while to avoid smelly carpet. it only comes through on the passenger footwell and can leave a descent puddle there sometimes after it rains (2-3cms) this issue has been frustrating me for a long time and would love to get it sorted so i can put my carpet and interior back in. i have also checked the elephant tube or whatever its called but thats clear and theres nothing clogging the vents below the front windscreen.

Get your torch, then slide the seat right back. Lie on your back in the footwell. (assuming your a small guy) Look right up in very top corner of the dash board. Look for rust, or green mouldy stuff. Get a mate to pour water all over the front of the car and around the sunroof (like were talking bucket loads) and just watch for drips. Failing that, pull out the trim that goes over the vents and have a good look in there.

I know your original question was how to take the dash out, but honestly its more trouble than its worth.

Edited by SIR E30

Guest FrantiC

Do it while someone hoses down the car? Would help as you may see where water is dripping in from.

Sounds alot like the firewall drain is blocked (as mentioned by SIR E30).

It's on the drivers side and should be a fat oval shaped rubber tube, but if this has been removed, it'll be a round hole about the size of a 10c piece.

When this blocks the area under the vents below the windscreen wipers fills up with water until it overflows into the car.

Was just about to ask this cause my E30s doing the exact same thing.

Saves me asking, Thanks :P

they also get blocked window drain holes . have to pop the window out for that one! Edited by kerry

they also get blocked window drain holes . have to pop the window out for that one!

Is that the front windscreen? If so were are the drains located? someone mentioned to me about a drain from the sunroof but were is that? and were does it go?