Sign in to follow this  
petone

My new CAI

While I'm waiting around for uni to start i got a bit of free time so i decided to play around with the intake. Its a K&N pod sitting behind the headlight with a heatshield. Feel free to leave any suggestions or improvements. Other than the filter the whole thing cost me 5 bucks, i got the materials from my old mans workshop and the rubber joiners and bands from pick-a-part.

As for performance, it does seem a little quicker through the gears but it could just be in my head, it definatly hasn't made anything worse though.

post-5-1103625252.jpg

Edited by petone

I made up some seel brackets to mount the AFM using the original mounts. The AFM is also bolted to the heatshield.

post-5-1103625395.jpg

The only problem i can see is that the pipe is exposed to the engine and could get quite hot. Any ideas or suggestions to improve this, ie any good heatproof coatings out there?

post-5-1103625591.jpg

Edited by petone

waiting for uni...dude you have like 2 months to go! haha

looks nice, well made from what i can see

next time try using ABS plastic (the stuff bodykits are made of) as the aluminium absorbs heat from the engine and then radiates it into the filter and piping.....plastic reduces this effect

however your one looks mint.....good effort

flash ... musta cost a bit.

hahahhah .....

Other than the filter the whole thing cost me 5 bucks

is your engine M10? or M40, looks like M10 to me

i was thinking of just putting a pod filter before the AFM and leaving the stock plastic tube going to the manifold instead of putting "bling bling" chrome coated aluminum pipe

in theory it should give u another 5 hp or so compared to the stock rectangle air filter unit sitting in the plastic resonator box. But u might be taking in more of the less denser air (hot air) into the intake chamber. .

yours isnt really cold air intake dude, cold intake is the one that goes down and sits lower in the engine closer to the front bumper brake cooling ducts

The longer the pipe, the more torque it gives u, the shorter the intake, more power gain

its all to do with the vacuum and the velocity of the charge.

Nice effort though :thumb:

Thanks for the comments guys.

i got M10. With my first setup I had the filter just behind the fog lights where you are talking about. The problem with this is that there wasn't much airflow and the pipeing was too long and had too many bends in it. The advantage of this setup is that there is plenty of space around the headlight shrouds for air and also the intake pipeing is as straight as possible. I still have the pipeing and brackets from the old one if anyone wants it.

I need to find another material for the pipe, i would rather not have one at all but without it i can't have the heatshield setup like that. I could use ordinary old PVC but it wont be as durable and i don't know if it will be much better in terms of heat transfer than the old one. Anybody know of anything i can cover my stainless steel pipe with that will absorb the heat?

Use heat reflective tape - talk to Tim about his ideas on it

Dynamo, just plain old washing machine concentrate stuff. We use it on our trailbikes all the time. Dilute it with water so you can spray it on with a garden/weed sprayer. Wait 5 min and then hose it off. Just like degreaser but you can use it on paint, plastic etc. Also a bit of autosol and steel wool.

sh*t yea the engine bay is sooooo clean

andrew u would die if u saw mine

hahaha

yea dude that thing u put in looks good

does it make much difference when u drive it?

mmm dirty

post-5-1104217906.jpg

Edited by bimmer boy