Sign in to follow this  
535iase1997

Successful repair of cruise control module

Me and a fellow Bimmer enthusiast (jfry) just had a attempt at repairing my e39's cruise control module as it kept disengaging after a short while. then won't go back on until I restarted the car. I fully disassembled it cleaned the points and re-soldered the pins, now it's like new! except now that I was on a roll I decided to fix the dead pixels in the instrument cluster and after re-installing it the airbag light stays on, but this (I hope) is the same problem others have got after removing the cluster. I will take it in and get it reset on Monday, I hope most of you agree with this idea.

Me and a fellow Bimmer enthusiast (jfry) just had a attempt at repairing my e39's cruise control module as it kept disengaging after a short while. then won't go back on until I restarted the car. I fully disassembled it cleaned the points and re-soldered the pins, now it's like new! except now that I was on a roll I decided to fix the dead pixels in the instrument cluster and after re-installing it the airbag light stays on, but this (I hope) is the same problem others have got after removing the cluster. I will take it in and get it reset on Monday, I hope most of you agree with this idea.

hope so....did you disconnect the battery before removing the cluster?

hope so....did you disconnect the battery before removing the cluster?

No, I didn't need to remove the steering wheel (air bags) so I thought that wasn't necessary. (or just didn't think) :)

Would you have any photo's of the repair location of the unit in the vehicle etc

Allan

Would you have any photo's of the repair location of the unit in the vehicle etc

Allan

Hi Allan

I didn't take any photo's as I assumed I wouldn't succeed as I hadn't seen it done before.

I used this info to find it http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/329888. to find it.

What I did was:

1. took the plastic engine cover off, to unclip the CC from the throttle lever.

2. removed the module completely from the car buy undoing the three bolts (used a magnet so I didn't drop them into the engine bay).

3. Got a size 8 star drive bit and took the cover off the bottom of CC module (I had to break a small seal (melted plastic))

4. got a small set of vice grips and clamped them on the spring (you'll see what I mean)

You don't want it to unravel! then pulled it off and put it somewhere safe (I used tape as well as a double security)

5. Then I undid the next lot of star drive screws holding the circuit board down.

6. then disassembled the rest of it, carefully noting the position of all the sprockets!

7. then I checked the solenoid with a small twelve volt battery, re-soldered all of the pins coming out of the circuit board (where the plug plugs into) This was the problem, they were dry and loose!

8. then I cleaned where the contacts (round thing with two contact points) touch the board (thoroughly with white spirits) and lightly sanded and cleaned the contacts themselves.

9. Then re-assembled, put back in the car and tested.

note; when re-assembling I had to wind one turn of tension onto the sping so it acted correctly and the strap wasn't too slack.

Hope this helps! sorry no photo's!

Happy cruising!

Cheers

Phil.