Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

Fuel pump no go

89 E30 325i

OK so have finally finished putting the new air intake boot and rewired everything. Turns over fine but wont start.

I THINK it may be the primary fuel pump (?), the thing that is connected to the intake boot.

Now, is this thing not meant to make a buzzing sound when you turn the key over to ON? I'm sure it always used to, but now it won't work. It kinda comes on sometimes after you've cranked the motor for 5+ seconds.

I am thinking that this is the problem, have checked all the wires (there are FA wires left in the car) and nothing seems to have come undone. Checked fuses etc.

Any other ideas or diagnostic things to do?

Help would be appreciated

Cheers

Ashkan

Ok so have been fiddling around. Now it isn't making a sound at all... <_<

It is ment to make a buzzing sound in the ON position, do you mean the idle control valve btw? black and stlver tube looking thing

Yes, that thing.

I havent touched anything else since you came round, unless the cage builder has cut something, but I can't see anything missing.

Would that be the problem?

Guest FrantiC

crank sensor plugged in?

sometimes can be mixed around with the other plug in the exact same place of the loom, 1 is for crank sensor 1 is the inductive pickup wire sensor, if you got them the wrong way around it won't fire.

Edited by FrantiC

The crank sensor has a big pickup on the end of it, and yes that is plugged in. What does the other wire look like? and what is it meant to be plugged into.

Guest FrantiC

So one end is the sensor itself, pointing to the toothed crank at the front of the engine yes?

It should be plugged into a 3 pin plug, like all the other bits on the e30 loom same type of plug, it should be by the thermostat housing somewhere, comes out right at the end of the loom where it splits off into various sections.

There is 2 plugs exact same length, 3 pin for both, 1 is for the crank sensor, the other is for the inductive #6 pickup. They aren't labelled so it's quite possibly the wrong way around.