Sign in to follow this  
twisted

E34 540i no start

I need help!!

This morning I jumped in the 540 and it cranked but wouldn't start. I perservered for a while (30-60 secs or so) and it fired and ran, allowing me to back it out of the garage. I parked it up, letting it idle, at which point it died. No missing or shaking, just cut right out. So I cranked it again, and after about 15 secs or so it started, and idled fine.

after a few mins i killed it, went inside for 10 mins or so and then it just wouldnt start (cranking, but not firing).

Thisafternoon i decided to have another look at it, and it simply will not fire. not even close.

Yesterday I had the plugs out and cleaned them up, and it started and ran fine after doing so. I've checked all the coil connections, and all appears good. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on?

check the fuel pump . check you have fuel pressure at the engine .

double check you have spark.

Immobiliser is OK (because immobiliser cuts off the starter motor if there is invalid key or immobiliser fault)

Plugs and coils will be OK because you have 8 x coils and 8 x plugs, so to have all fail at the same time is highly improbable (oops sorry: this is true of E39, not sure about E34)

Common single issues that need to be looked at:

Fuel delivery (pump, pressure, filter, etc)

Sensors on engine that control spark (crankshaft position etc)

The BMW Diagnostics will tell you very quickly where the fault is.

Everything else is working blind....

Ring your friendly local independent BMW workshop.

Edited by jochen