Sign in to follow this  
mark247

What starter to use?! M50 E30

Nearly finish my E30 M50 swap and I have just tried to start her up and the starter motor is not engaging.

I am using a M20 flywheel and gearbox ( so it's on a funny angle ) but I am using the original M50 starter that came with the engine ( which was connected to an auto trans. ) I tried another M50 starter and it did the same thing.

Should these m50 starters work or do I need to use an M20 starter?

Thanks!

Did you remember the bellhousing to block locating dowels? <_<

yeah use the m20 e30 starter, The m50 auto's and manuals use different starter motors for each from memory.

Also check that the flywheel isnt touching the oil sump, as the m50 autos and manuals use different sumps and if you use an auto sump with a manual flywheel the fly wheel will touch (by about 2mm) so it will crank manually from the front of the engine but the starter will not be strong enough to crank it over

Did you remember the bellhousing to block locating dowels? <_<

I actually totally didn't think about that. But I'm 100% positive at least one was in there because I remember I had trouble getting the gearbox on it.

yeah use the m20 e30 starter, The m50 auto's and manuals use different starter motors for each from memory.

Also check that the flywheel isnt touching the oil sump, as the m50 autos and manuals use different sumps and if you use an auto sump with a manual flywheel the fly wheel will touch (by about 2mm) so it will crank manually from the front of the engine but the starter will not be strong enough to crank it over

My flywheel has been machined a fair bit so I'm pretty sure that wont be an issue, I'm sure I would of noticed that when I put the flywheel on?

Also I tried both an auto and a manual m50 starter, they are identical.

wish me luck in my auto 318i :)

+1

Also why the sh*t are you doing all the work. It aint just her show.

Get her a bottle of $6 leg opener and take her to Wendy's.

I used M20 starter motor when i converted to the M20 flywheel Mark. I had issues with the starter motor making whiney noises and had to space it with a washer where the two bolts go into the bell housing.

^^^ wtf luke haha

Hurry up and get it going mark, , im sick of watching you doing all the hard work haha

I used M20 starter motor when i converted to the M20 flywheel Mark. I had issues with the starter motor making whiney noises and had to space it with a washer where the two bolts go into the bell housing.

hhahaha great misquote.

Oh yea, spacers.. so you positioned the starter slightly more forward? If i understand you correctly.. so its like err a washer thickness closer to the front of the car? lol.

Hahaha WHOA! Howd that happen :rolleyes: classic im not even gonna edit that rofl.

Yea haha I used washers to bring the starter closer to the front of the car if that makes sense lol, Dunno how but it solved my issue and blairs on his M20. Not sure if its the same issue but yea def use M20 starter man.

Chur as, will pick up a m20 one tomorrow and drop the bitch.

Next task is shifter. Because I'm using the prefacelift shifter setup it is totally and utterly on the piss, the shifter pushes hard against the right hand side of the hole it goes through into the car.. we need to modify pretty hardout to make it fit, pretty much cut it in half and lengthen it all...

Then there we need to do exhaust as well..

I know that sound! Whatever the problem is, I'm sure you'll get there mate. :)

Edited by tastic