Sign in to follow this  
laadeelaa

Calling Photography Junkies

Hey guys.

Have been looking at doing a photography course (Diploma in Contemporary Photography) at Mt. Albert Unitech instead of/before my Bachelor of Teaching.

Anyone know much about this course?

Pretty keen on getting into Photography of the BMW Race Series and doing events and Weddings.

Don't know too much about the digital SLR's as I became best friend with my film SLR all through school.

Can anyone point me in a decent direction towards a good quality digital SLR?

Thanks.

Guest Simon*

Entry level twin lens kit Canon is an awesome start. There's the 1000D or 450D if memory serves.

Don't overlook good quality pre-loved ones on TM - lots of people fork out and get bored or realise they have no talent :)

Photography is something you shouldn't need to take a course in if you have any wit.

Practise makes perfect. I've hadn't done any photography untill I bought a Canon 450D as a impulse buy last year. Now I can say I take primo photos, just from thinking about framing what's in the shot 'artisticly' and taking practise shots before hand to get the settings right for the lighting (Auto mode is for the weak, Full Manual ftw)

The 450D is a great camera, only really limited by the stock lenses. Especially the 75-300mm lens, it's useless at past 200mm of zoom, very blurry, would be hard to get great shots of car racing with it..

Guest Simon*

+1 to what Henry said too. Helps of self-education help on teh interweb. Youtube has some great tutorial vids on this kind of stuff.

A course won't make you a great photographer unfortunately (just a mechanically sound one) - you have to practise and develop an "eye"

Oh yes, forgot about the internet.

Everything you will every need to know is on this thing, so many forums. Browse through random sections of Flickr for hours to get ideas and inspiration. Want to learn how to take photos of saaaay fireworks? Google that sh*t. Or proper settings for Star trails? Bam, google :D

Now it's getting into summer I have big star trail shots planned... OoooOoOoooo

Lenses are far more important than the camera body itself. And talent is far more important than the quality of your gear.

Film SLR's use the same principles as Digital SLR's do so you can apply what you learnt at school easily enough.

Yeah I had friends that took photography and they were teaching them things anyone would know. They ended up leaving the course cause it was far too basic and pretty much a waste of time.

courses would be good for someone like me who has no idea about F settings or shutter speeds... I know how to point and click...

Woooh unitech mt albert... you could do photoshoots of my car during breaks ^_^

Would people be willing to use someone for professional photographic use if they weren't qualified?

yep I would definitely would use my friend for any professional photography and she doesn't have any qualifications

but then again, if it was just some random out of the yellow pages then probably not

If you don't have any qualifications the most important thing to any employers is a portfolio. Start building a portfolio of you work and if you're any good then it should speak for itself.

If you are awesome, you shouldn't have a problem.

My ex GF's dad was a hobby photographer and he was bloody awesome. He did a lot of work for the NZ rally etc.

I can pose nude for you if you want.

Would people be willing to use someone for professional photographic use if they weren't qualified?

If you have a good portfolio to show, then no one needs to know you arent qualified :P

Thanks for the offer Ashkan, I think I'll have to pass on it. Unless Mike can pose with you. :huh:

No. I take that back. :unsure:

Okay I'm on the lookout for one. Just about pooed my pants when I saw a casual pricing for the Canon 450D and 1000D.

I guess that's not too bad.

Actually! 1k isn't much at all for something that will bring a maximum amount of pleasure to the eye.

I can vouch for the Nikon D60, mint as camera, i got the twin lens kit, i don't use it enough :(

Just do some research and you will find one that suits your needs, and as for the course, i wouldn't do it, as others have said practice makes perfect.

I can vouch for the Nikon D60, mint as camera, i got the twin lens kit, i don't use it enough :(

Just do some research and you will find one that suits your needs, and as for the course, i wouldn't do it, as others have said practice makes perfect.

Good sh*t Blair. Cheers.

Your fab piccies show a great deal of evidence!

You might want to see which fits your hands best. I know the nikon bodies are unfortmortable for me to use. The button is in an odd place for my hands.

You might want to see which fits your hands best. I know the nikon bodies are unfortmortable for me to use. The button is in an odd place for my hands.

Some women learn to adjust and deal with it. :D

Haha. Just pulling your leg Heath.

Some women learn to adjust and deal with it. :D

hey your the one paying for it...

Have you considered second hand?

Photographers tend to be 'gear freaks' and bail out when a new model comes out!

I would recommend Nikon D70s or Canon 20D as good rugged models to buy used. Just watch the shutter count, the shutters fail at around 40k shots ( average ) and cost $$$$$$ to replace.

For example, I paid $2500 for my 20D, and sold it recently on Trademe for $600

As someone else suggested, the lenses are often more important than the body when it comes to image quality.

Newer models have larger LCDs etc, but with an SLR you do not use the LCD as much as a compact anyway.

If you are wanting to buy new and keep costs down, the Sony gear is hard to beat for price at the moment, and they take Minolta AF lenses if you want to get some used lenses.

Best of luck :)

Have you considered second hand?

Photographers tend to be 'gear freaks' and bail out when a new model comes out!

I would recommend Nikon D70s or Canon 20D as good rugged models to buy used. Just watch the shutter count, the shutters fail at around 40k shots ( average ) and cost $$$$$$ to replace.

For example, I paid $2500 for my 20D, and sold it recently on Trademe for $600

As someone else suggested, the lenses are often more important than the body when it comes to image quality.

Newer models have larger LCDs etc, but with an SLR you do not use the LCD as much as a compact anyway.

If you are wanting to buy new and keep costs down, the Sony gear is hard to beat for price at the moment, and they take Minolta AF lenses if you want to get some used lenses.

Best of luck :)

Yeah I have seen some decent ones on trade me. I have a Fujifilm FinePix S9600 and they cost around $1000 new but there has been several selling for $300-$400 on trade me.