Sign in to follow this  
rds

Better late then never E30M50

Hello,

I just got the engine going on sunday night for the first time. Intake and ICV still need to be installed, but other then that she is complete.

Didnt move much above idle as it is still fairly untuned, but from what I did hear/see its running nice and smooth.

All the sensors are calibrated on the megasquirt and all seems well. Now I just have to get some more cash togeather to finish it off.

BRING ON PAYDAY!

Details

M50B25 - Non Vanos

Stock gearbox - Getrag 260

F1 Racing clutch (simply because it was cheaper then the stock unit )

Porshe 944 Brake booster

e36 brackets with M5 mounts

e30 facelift radiator and overflow.

e34 accel cable

MegaSquirt by barf

Timeline

4months

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/9627/beamer2.jpg

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/9291/beamer3.jpg

Bigups!! to Barf, rob and rod for helping make it happen

post-4152-1254789959.jpg

Edited by rds

Guest FrantiC

Good work dude. Slow and steady.

Had a chance to use the clutch yet? I'm pretty sure I got that same one you did, 6 puk ceramic one?

They are really really good. Hold power and they don't seem hard or too stuff, but they are abit grippy when taking off.

Whats needed to finish this beast off? Are you going to have it dyno tuned, or a a factory map on the MS?

Good work dude. Slow and steady.

Had a chance to use the clutch yet? I'm pretty sure I got that same one you did, 6 puk ceramic one?

They are really really good. Hold power and they don't seem hard or too stuff, but they are abit grippy when taking off.

Whats needed to finish this beast off? Are you going to have it dyno tuned, or a a factory map on the MS?

Yea i got the 6 puck ceramic one as well, havent actually used the clutch as of yet. I just got it idling on sunday (using some dodgy analog ICV control techniques (duct tape). Im just waiting for the idle control vavle and intake piping. Before I even try to tune it properly. Currently its using mostly default MS settings with a generated VE table.

I forgot to mention in the first post that I also need to install a wideband o2 sensor, so I can auto_tune to an AFR table, which kinda negates the need to get it dyno tuned. I may after its all done, hire a dyno for an hour or so to try and tweak the last out of it.

Nice one, any other plans for the car?

LSD

then

turbo ;)

Not interested in making it look nice. Looks good enough stock. Probably will get stiffer springs but ill see and maybe a touch lower, but it needs to be able to hit the gravel :D

Edited by rds

Guest FrantiC

Doesn't the auto tune feature mainly focus on the VE table? i didn't think it effects ignition timing, or does it?

Although I guess you could find stock ignition maps pretty easy.

Doesn't the auto tune feature mainly focus on the VE table? i didn't think it effects ignition timing, or does it?

Although I guess you could find stock ignition maps pretty easy.

Yea your right, it doesn't deal with spark at all. I guess I will start with a stock map as you were saying and tune from there. Reading the megamanual it says:

To tune the spark table, you will need drive the car and listen for detonation. If you hear any (or better yet, if a datalog shows any feedback from the knock sensor) reduce the advance at the spark advance table point where the detonation occurred. Start at low engine speeds and low engine loads, and work towards higher speeds/loads progressively. Always keep the spark table smooth by adjusting the neighboring 'cells', or driveability may suffer.

I have plummed up the intake. Its just a silicon 90" bend to a alloy pipe I got made up with a connector for the ICV to a K&N pod. Currently doesnt have any heat shielding but will do for now.

Tuning this weekend!

The megasquirt generates the spark table based on power and torque figures you put into it.

So currently im running a spark table for a stock M50B25 engine (141 kW (192 hp) @ 6000 245 N·m (181 ft·lbf) @ 4700)

Im going to play with this table once im sorted the req_fuel and VE tables to a level im happy with.

I should be able to hopefully feel it bog abit where the advance is not set correctly. If / when I feel this im going to backup the config then try something like 210hp @ 6000 and see if its any better

after the weekend can report the Innovate LC-1 wideband Exhaust Gas-Oxygen (Bosch) sensor worked a miracle for the tune. lowered coolant temperature, smoother and faster with AFR looking smoother and smoother with thanks to the VE/AFR live analysis feature and 'target AFR' tuning mode now switched on. post up that spark map rds?