Sign in to follow this  
Slavvy

Six brake hoses

I just swapped out the brake hoses (all six of them) on my car for braided steel ones and it got me thinking: what other cars have SIX hoses instead of the usual four? Is this mainly a BMW quirk or am I completely clueless and there are hundreds of other types of car rolling around with this arrangement? Logically, practically every car that has a similar rear suspension arrangement would have to have six as one big hose going from the chassis straight to the caliper would be impractical, but it's never jumped out at me before on other cars.

So am I just not very observational or is this a bmw thing? Anyone know any other cars like this?

This stuff keeps me up at night :P

Drum brake E30's only have four. :rolleyes:

I've always wondered this. It has something to do with the more complicated routing if it came straight off the chassis to the caliper. Would have to go through the boot ha. DAMN OUR MASSIVE BOOTS!

I've always wondered this. It has something to do with the more complicated routing if it came straight off the chassis to the caliper. Would have to go through the boot ha. DAMN OUR MASSIVE BOOTS!

Haaahahaha :D

From looking at various BMW's, the distance between the caliper (and where it could be at full decompression) and the body is huge, whereas on other cars it isnt. Plus this doesn't seem to matter for FWD cars since they can have a much simpler arrangement in the back. Makes me wonder about late model falcons, commodores, audi, mercedes etc.

Edited by Slavvy

Mine has six and two vacuum boosters, both of which are remote mounted. Take that! Four piston front callipers were quite something in 73 I am led to believe, as the Regal with the 318ci in it at work only has tiny sliding single piston pussy things. Yuck