Sign in to follow this  
Apex

FT-86 RWD affordable sports concept.

Just found my next car. I have always wanted a AE86 (befor they were cool even, like when you could buy a mint panda 1987 model for 2k) but mucked around and never brought one and now that they are stupid money and there is no New Car RWD equivalent, that died with the culling of the 200SX a few years back. I would put money down for one of these tomorrow.

It’s been on the cards for a few years, was almost canceld at one stage!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Leather dash with zippers and awesome copy of Ferrari air vents/Cluster (that didn’t take long Japan) look sweet.

Posted Image

Check out the mag-lite controls and soft touch stereo controls.

Posted Image

Toyota is set to re-enter the sports-car market with the 86 (pronounced hachi roku) developed jointly with Subaru . The compact four-seater will make its first appearance in 'FT-86' (Future Toyota 86) concept form at the upcoming Tokyo Motor Show and is set to hit production shortly after. With its lightweight construction and rear-wheel drive layout, the 86 is the spiritual replacement for exciting Toyotas like the Supra and the AE-86, it is named after.

The car's adventurous styling is a direct development of the highly acclaimed FT-HS concept car first shown at Detroit's North American International Auto Show in the beginning of 2007. The FT-86 sports many curvaceous lines and has relatively short overhangs. Oval shapes dominate the interior, highlighted by the unusually white gauge cluster. The dashboard is covered in leather. The various compartments in the dash can be accessed through zippers.

Subaru's involvement can be found under the bonnet; one of the company's trademark flat-four engines. Apart from its configuration and 2-litre displacement, Toyota have not released many details on the Subaru boxer. Enthusiasts will be happy to note that the power is transferred to the rear wheels and through a six-speed gearbox that is operated by an old-fashioned stick and clutch.

Link to article on Ultimatecarpage.com with more hires images

Can’t wait for the hater’s comments, yes your E30 looks way better :rolleyes:

I love the exterior,Espcially the rear. Not sure on the interior

The general shape reminds me of the new 370Z.

The exterior looks reasonably nice, but the interior is horrible !

It looks like some Chav got a 50 quid Halfords voucher for his birthday and went wild.

Edited by Penry

A heavy 2JZ would f**k things up and would be a massive step backwards, from the looks of things it will run a Subaru Boxer 4, now this is good because its compact and can be mounted very low and far back which should make this a hell of a balanced car, im not a fan of the way Subaru’s drive but have to admit they have an awesome sound and are an interesting concept, wonder if Subaru will do a EJ20T version, now that would be fun.

Reminds me of Toyota, as history has proven Nissan copy Toyota while Toyota muck around with concepts.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hell I'm a fan. Screams 'american market' though. (Will american 'round the cones' style drifting ever die?!)

Can't wait to see some best motoring crazy japanese guys put it up against the tried and true of their car culture on the touge.

I'm glad MX5's never became cool here. I already have my cheap, lightweight, perfectly balanced, and fantastically engineered RWD coupe. :ph34r:

Then buy one, they are cheap. Was offered one for 12k a while back.

That is so awesome. First concept car I've seen in aaaaages that's actually got me excited.

Looks great, it'll go great and will be reliable as.... well a toyota.

Same, im so excited, went to Toyota today and said I will give you all my money build it and they said buy a Corolla so I said f**k off and came home and did some more looking, it will be built by Fuji Industries as Toyota have a 16% share in that company but it will be 80% Toyota, kit will run a 2.0 boxer four and as of yet Subaru has said nothing about their version.

it will be sold for under 40k nzd.

I will admit I am not a Toyota fan at all. But this is seriously cool!

I dibs first ride in yours Graham when its delivered!

One of the nicer looking recent concept cars _b

Not a fan of the wheels nor the interior though -p

No worries Nick, should go well, I hope they give it a proper dash so I have somewhere to store my tapes but the Zipper dash does save a sh*t load of weight and thats what this car is all about, light, cheap RWD fun, with all the safety equipment required these days thinking out side the box is what is needed to achieve objectives, if they can get this on the road at under 1100kg it will be awesome.

What's f**ked up is that this car is designed by the French and built by Subaru, is this what it takes for Toyota to build something cool, not build it at all.

That car looks awesome! Certainly one of the first new cars in a looooong time to get me thinking about buying one... I'll stick to lusting after Beemers in the meantime though :D