Sign in to follow this  
khairul23

Nice to be here, any recommended mechanics in Dunedin?

Hi all.

Nice to finally be able to join your club. I always loved BMWs although the first I actually own. Just bought it a month ago. E39 520i. Year 1996. Beige interior. The choices before buying it was very limited. Limited by budget, and I only like beige interior as it looks more luxuries than the other colours. Chose a smaller engine because I plan to take it to a country where import tax on cars are based on engine size, and road tax is significantly higher for cars above 2000cc. But I was advised against it as 1991cc is too small for the size of the car, and the fuel economy is not much different than some bigger engines. Anyway I went through and am really happy.

Recently the engine is having some problem. It is rough and jerks sometimes. Went to a mechanic who checked and said that the crankcase ventilation valve needs to be replaced. He estimated $200+ for parts and $200+ for labour. Is that reasonable? Does anybody here knows a good and cheap place in Dunedin to do work on Bimmers? Is there any place I can order the parts cheaper than my mechanic's quote? Thanks.

Khairul

post-4892-1255298656.jpg

European auto services is pretty good.

the man there know's what he's on about.

(he also does work on a mate's car)

If it's just the motor, I'd say Graham Paige, but he only does motors to my knowledge.

Oh, and welcome :)

Edited by antil33t

European auto services is pretty good.

the man there know's what he's on about.

(he also does work on a mate's car)

If it's just the motor, I'd say Graham Paige, but he only does motors to my knowledge.

Oh, and welcome :)

Thanks. Is that the one in Jutland St. Waiting for a quote from them. Is Graham one of bimmersport members?

Thanks. Is that the one in Jutland St. Waiting for a quote from them. Is Graham one of bimmersport members?

Yep, They're in Jutland Street.

Nah, Graham is a family friend, He's out in Green Island though.

I only like beige interior as it looks more luxuries than the other colours.

I certainly agree, some how the beige or tan color makes the car look more prestigious.

Sorry, I'm not from Dunedin, can't help you there but Welcome. Might pay to list your engine trouble under "maintenance" to receive more help.

I certainly agree, some how the beige or tan color makes the car look more prestigious.

Sorry, I'm not from Dunedin, can't help you there but Welcome. Might pay to list your engine trouble under "maintenance" to receive more help.

Thanks Tony. In fact my choice was limited to the E39 5 series due to the lack of beige interior in other models. Otherwise I would have considered E46 3 series.

If it were me I'd take it to K.G McLeod in Waverley. I've been taking all my Euro stuff there. They are the cheapest I've come across and Alan up there is a gun at diagnostics & repairs. They are normally pretty quick too.

If it were me I'd take it to K.G McLeod in Waverley. I've been taking all my Euro stuff there. They are the cheapest I've come across and Alan up there is a gun at diagnostics & repairs. They are normally pretty quick too.

Thanks Clinton. I'll give them a try.