Sign in to follow this  
Grant

Yosemite National Park

Hi All

I just spent the weekend in Yosemite National Park. I have been before, but was very keen to go back. Pictures don't do justice to how spectacular this place is.

Even the drive from the base of the foothills until you get to the into the park itself is amazing.

Here are some pics (from my cellphone - I have photos on my digital camera as well, but they are still on the camera):

1 - 3 - Yosemite Valley prior to dropping down into the valley itself (including the famous Half Dome).

4 - 6 - El Capitan - a 3,000 foot sheer granite rock face (there are climbers on the face - but are too small to see). El Capitan is just amazing.

7 - Bridal Veil Falls - unfortunately going to the Park in the end of summer means that these fals are no more than a trickle, however these are spectacular in Spring (the falls height is 620ft)

8 - Typical monutain stream. The water is crystal clear, and bloody cold.

9 - Typical meadow - not that spectacular, but pretty nice I thought.

Cheers

Grant

Edit: I also have some pretty cool shots from Lake Tahoe is anyone is interested.

post-43-1255368360.jpg

post-43-1255368369.jpg

post-43-1255368382.jpg

post-43-1255368500.jpg

post-43-1255368513.jpg

post-43-1255368612.jpg

post-43-1255368699.jpg

post-43-1255368715.jpg

post-43-1255368729.jpg

Edited by Grant

looks amazing, would definitely love to go there one day

Magnificant!

I was watching some videos of climbers on El Capitan the other day. Crazy.

Wow no way!

I climbed the half dome there just over 3 weeks ago!

Tahoe too... niiice. Must be getting cold now

Very Cool Grant. Thanks for sharing! I have some friends that climb there, they reckon this is rock climbing heaven.

Edited by Jelly Bottom

Wow no way!

I climbed the half dome there just over 3 weeks ago!

Tahoe too... niiice. Must be getting cold now

Yosemite was still jeans and t-shirt warm (shorts would have been fine too)

South Lake Tahoe (the town) last weekend was little on the cool side at night (jeans and t-shirt during the day, but at night and before 10am was jersey weather as well). However further around the lake was bitterly cold. We got out just before the first snow of the season.

It is weird going from really cold at South Lake Tahoe (just above freezing), and then getting back home, which is only 1.5 hours drive away and it being in the 30's celcius.

I was with my parents, so we didn't attempt to many strenuous hikes in Yosemite, so climbing Half Dome was out of the question. I'll wait until my boys are a bit older, then we can do that.

Cheers

Grant

Edited by Grant

Damn you for showing and telling us about your awesome adventures in the states. Great pics.

Last time I was in Tahoe was in July/August and it was still pretty cool once you were out of the direct sun (try swimming in the lake!). Sadly never made it to Yosemite - those pictures really are spectacular.

A lot of people say they don't want to see the US because they think it is all going to be LA, but the place changes so much in such a small distance (scenery wise) and is normally absolutely spectacular (like this). More pics please (especially the Arizona desert around Sedona if you can spare the time)!

Yosemite is one of the most interesting places on the planet. It's the worlds biggest volcano, and it's well overdue for a huge pop (about 30000 years overdue). And as the continetal plate which makes up the USA and Canada moves at 4-5cm per year, it moves over this volcano leaving a trail of volcanic fertile land, which is why Idaho is famous for it's potatoes. The pressure that the volcano puts on the land pushes it up over 800metres above the surrouding land. And once it finds a weak spot in the crust... Ohhhh sh*t. Most people (90%) on the planet will die.

Thanks Mr Bryson.

And sweet photos Grant!!!!!

Yosemite was still jeans and t-shirt warm (shorts would have been fine too)

South Lake Tahoe (the town) last weekend was little on the cool side at night (jeans and t-shirt during the day, but at night and before 10am was jersey weather as well). However further around the lake was bitterly cold. We got out just before the first snow of the season.

It is weird going from really cold at South Lake Tahoe (just above freezing), and then getting back home, which is only 1.5 hours drive away and it being in the 30's celcius.

I was with my parents, so we didn't attempt to many strenuous hikes in Yosemite, so climbing Half Dome was out of the question. I'll wait until my boys are a bit older, then we can do that.

Cheers

Grant

Strangely, I was in Yosemite last Thursday and took some similar photos on my phone. It was a spur of the moment visit and the autumn weather was fantastic. On Friday I was up at Tahoe, warm and perfect day with some of the snow from the previous weekend on the ground. Stumbled on a car show at at the North end (Kings Beach), where there were some very nice rods and a fantastic 57 Chev with LS1.

Guest Ari Gold

Yosemite is one of the most interesting places on the planet. It's the worlds biggest volcano, and it's well overdue for a huge pop (about 30000 years overdue). And as the continental plate which makes up the USA and Canada moves at 4-5cm per year, it moves over this volcano leaving a trail of volcanic fertile land, which is why Idaho is famous for it's potatoes. The pressure that the volcano puts on the land pushes it up over 800metres above the surrounding land. And once it finds a weak spot in the crust... Ohhhh sh*t. Most people (90%) on the planet will die.

Thanks Mr Bryson.

And sweet photos Grant!!!!!

Yea after reading a short history of nearly everything, there is NO WAY I'd set foot in Yellowstone. That place is gonna go, and it's gonna go BIG.