Sign in to follow this  
just-drift-it

E30 Indicators only working sometimes?

The indicators in my e30 have been working only sometimes, like they will come on for a few blinks then stop working, and somtimes they wont come on at all and if i flick the stick up and down fast it will work again for a bit then stop again, now they dont seem to be coming on at all.

Anybody have any ideas on what is wrong?

Cheers.

maybe the relay or the stalk.. relay is my first guess

Where is the relay? In the fuse box? Cheers.

In the steering column under the bottom cover. It's a kind of taller looking relay.

I have exactly the same thing....first they work, then they dont, then they do, then they dont....

Im here all week, dont forget to tip your waitress :D

Ok thanks guys, bloody e30's ive just had one thing after another break on it, almost every week something different shits itself :angry: where can i get a new relay?

^ story of my life, and mine doesn't even have a rotor in it :P

sounds like a sick car tho, rotor + e30 = best of both worlds

Ok thanks guys, bloody e30's ive just had one thing after another break on it, almost every week something different shits itself :angry: where can i get a new relay?

I've got one if you require - PM me

You may be able to repair though - usually a dry joint inside the flasher which can be resoldered.

Remember - these cars are 20+ years old now so things will go wrong

If not fuse or relay...try removing the bumper & check the plug in behind the bulb. Mine was doing the old "work sometimes, then not work" trick. Had a look and the wire in the plug was lose. Just taped it up good for now. Need a new plug, on the to do list.

Even if it is a fuse/relay check the plug & wire anyway.

If not fuse or relay...try removing the bumper & check the plug in behind the bulb. Mine was doing the old "work sometimes, then not work" trick. Had a look and the wire in the plug was lose. Just taped it up good for now. Need a new plug, on the to do list.

Even if it is a fuse/relay check the plug & wire anyway.

Won't be that - if a front one was out then the back would still go & besides - hardly likely both front lights are out together

Won't be that - if a front one was out then the back would still go & besides - hardly likely both front lights are out together

No. The plug in behind the indicator housing in the bumper. Mine is a bit buggered, so it would slip & then tick fast as but the front wouldnt. If that discribes what happens to OP sometimes, then that may be "one" reason.

Same as E30ONP, I used to give it a thump with my hand it came back on, but then decided to dig deeper.

Everything isnt always a fuse.

No. The plug in behind the indicator housing in the bumper. Mine is a bit buggered, so it would slip & then tick fast as but the front wouldnt. If that discribes what happens to OP sometimes, then that may be "one" reason.

Same as E30ONP, I used to give it a thump with my hand it came back on, but then decided to dig deeper.

Everything isnt always a fuse.

No What?

Read the first post again! - He states "indicators" work sometimes - & not others. He doesn't say that the rears work but the front don't.

I am aware of what you are talking about & aware of the result when this happens - fast blinking - the flasher unit is designed to do this to indicate a lamp out.

From his description - yours is not "one" reason for his indicators failing. Not disputing the fault in your car & infact have seen this problem in them myself.

AND - I didn't say everything is always a fuse, infact I didn't even mention fuse in this case.