Sign in to follow this  
Tomahawk

5500rpm hesitation/misfire

When accelerating under wide open throttle the engine misfires or hesitates at 5500rpm. When pushed it will continue to the red line, although this can't be good for the motor. I have had the check engine codes read and nothing comes up. It seams to do it in all gears. The car idles fine and otherwise accelerates ok when not under WOT.

I own a e34 540i Touring.

I have had work done on the PCV recently in Christchurch by Jeff gray BMW and noticed this fault coming home.

Possible causes?

Throttle position sensor, crack position sensor, MAF, Coils?

I would appreciate any feedback.

Cheers

Possibly MAF. You need to drive the car with the scanner and check live data readings. Reading shoud be between 500 & 600 kg for the MAF sensor. Could also be blocked cats, causing low MAF readings and you would also get missing firing and backfiring with the exhaust gases trying to exhaust out of the plenum chamber

Possibly MAF. You need to drive the car with the scanner and check live data readings. Reading shoud be between 500 & 600 kg for the MAF sensor. Could also be blocked cats, causing low MAF readings and you would also get missing firing and backfiring with the exhaust gases trying to exhaust out of the plenum chamber

Thanks for the prompt reply, sounds like another trip to Christchurch, as i doubt the locals here have the necessary equipment.