Sign in to follow this  
Greg111

Diff worries

Well as some of you now know i'm rebuilding my diff, had no worries with this, bought all the bearings, LSD bolts etc.

Once i had removed the LSD unit on further inspection it's not looking good, i suspect the pinion bearing had semi seized, this has caused a bit of pressure on the crown wheel with the road wheels still trying to turn, this has caused some of the bolts to crack via the cage rotating a degree or two which has put the crown wheel off centre so every 360 degrees the crown was hitting the diff floor :wacko:

I'll get some pics up so it makes a bit of sense.

You can see in the last photo the mark that the crown has made.

Please be patient with the pics, unsure on how to resize?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Greg.

Crazy how that wierd noise your diff was making makes so much sense now.

I thought you said 2day that there was a crack in the LSD/clutch pack carrier casting, not just the bolts? (maybe I heard wrong)

Ill be over the road 2morrow morning, getting measured up 4 my suit, Ill swing in and take a nosey.

Crazy how that wierd noise your diff was making makes so much sense now.

I thought you said 2day that there was a crack in the LSD/clutch pack carrier casting, not just the bolts? (maybe I heard wrong)

Ill be over the road 2morrow morning, getting measured up 4 my suit, Ill swing in and take a nosey.

Greg. I may be able to help rescue that LSD unit if you are interested, email me some detail if you want kaynekbm@hotmail.com