Sign in to follow this  
robyntan

Value of a 1998 Z3

Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum, and wanted to ask a question.

I am looking at a BMW Z3: 1998, 63,000 kms, 1.9 ltr private sale

Can you give me any indication of what you think this car is worth? It's in pretty good overall condition. Electrics on both seat need repairs, passenger seat needs seat bushings replaced, electric windows struggle at the bottom 2 inches. The car has no roll bars. Mechanically it seems good (am having Kevin Burt assess the mechanics tomorrow).

What do you think about pricing? Seller is asking $14,900 ono

Would be grateful for some advice.

Thanks.

Regards

Robyn

A tad high.

Plenty of better examples on trade me with no advertised problems for the same money

All here

There are heaps around, be picky because you can and may as well get a better car for your money.

Guest Si Vis Pacem

Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum, and wanted to ask a question.

I am looking at a BMW Z3: 1998, 63,000 kms, 1.9 ltr private sale

Can you give me any indication of what you think this car is worth? It's in pretty good overall condition. Electrics on both seat need repairs, passenger seat needs seat bushings replaced, electric windows struggle at the bottom 2 inches. The car has no roll bars. Mechanically it seems good (am having Kevin Burt assess the mechanics tomorrow).

What do you think about pricing? Seller is asking $14,900 ono

Would be grateful for some advice.

Thanks.

Regards

Robyn

Hi Robyn welcome aboard!

As a Z3 owner I can tell you that is way overpriced. As with a number of cars at the moment there is a perceived price and what the market is actually prepared to pay.

There are a few things to watch out for with Z3s:

Seat bushings, simple parts but half a day to a day to fix (DIY).

Inner door-pull/armrest coming loose.

Rear suspension mounts - look for excessive "squat".

Condition of cloth on the top.

Condition of rear window (very expensive for what it is).

Check toolkit has the plug spanner - you need this to get the spare wheel out!

NZ new is desireable - Service history may be easier to obtain.

Manual 1900 is wayyyy better than auto 1900.

Check the fuel gauge - many have failed sender units. An indication that this unit has failed is to check behind the driver's seat for a large semi-circular cut. A replacement, (if you can find the history) SHOULD have been an upgrade with the gold contacts.

Windows should not be struggling at that age - does the car look if it has been caught in the rain too much?

Check aircon - very important for drying the car!

Check all rubber seaing strips on the softtop and frame where the door closes.

Rollbars are very desireable - you are starting to see a few cars come up for sale with them.

The engine, (M44) is generally deemed to be trouble-free, check service history.

Look for "bonus" items like tonneau cover, wind diffuser etc.

Most Z3s should have remote locking with alarm.

This would be a nice example... Z3 on Trademe #1

Watch the price on this one... Z3 on Trademe #2

There are quite a number for sale out there, similar specs to the one you are looking at have been going on Turners Auctions for around the $11k mark. Best thing you can do is look at several and be prepared to negotiate. If you are driving a Z3 for the first time a number of faults can be easily overlooked.

HTH

Regards

Ken.

Hi Robyn welcome aboard!

As a Z3 owner I can tell you that is way overpriced. As with a number of cars at the moment there is a perceived price and what the market is actually prepared to pay.

There are a few things to watch out for with Z3s:

Seat bushings, simple parts but half a day to a day to fix (DIY).

Inner door-pull/armrest coming loose.

Rear suspension mounts - look for excessive "squat".

Condition of cloth on the top.

Condition of rear window (very expensive for what it is).

Check toolkit has the plug spanner - you need this to get the spare wheel out!

NZ new is desireable - Service history may be easier to obtain.

Manual 1900 is wayyyy better than auto 1900.

Check the fuel gauge - many have failed sender units. An indication that this unit has failed is to check behind the driver's seat for a large semi-circular cut. A replacement, (if you can find the history) SHOULD have been an upgrade with the gold contacts.

Windows should not be struggling at that age - does the car look if it has been caught in the rain too much?

Check aircon - very important for drying the car!

Check all rubber seaing strips on the softtop and frame where the door closes.

Rollbars are very desireable - you are starting to see a few cars come up for sale with them.

The engine, (M44) is generally deemed to be trouble-free, check service history.

Look for "bonus" items like tonneau cover, wind diffuser etc.

Most Z3s should have remote locking with alarm.

This would be a nice example... Z3 on Trademe #1

Watch the price on this one... Z3 on Trademe #2

There are quite a number for sale out there, similar specs to the one you are looking at have been going on Turners Auctions for around the $11k mark. Best thing you can do is look at several and be prepared to negotiate. If you are driving a Z3 for the first time a number of faults can be easily overlooked.

HTH

Regards

Ken.

Hi Ken

Thanks for that. Much appreciated. The #1 you listed on trademe? I did a search and that one was built in Feb 1997, so is older than the one I am looking at -- though in good condition.

The car I am looking at is:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-247359947.htm

I test drove it last week.

I have also test driven:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-247506972.htm

That one had too many mechanical issues (the worse being a potentially slipping clutch -- at a repair cost of $1400 -- and that too had worn seat bushings).

The one I am looking at (the first one) is nice. It's got the smaller steering wheel and chrome bits and pieces and mechanically she drives like a dream. I only want a manual...am not interested in automatic. Seller is aware electrics on seats need to be fixed and is happy to fix them, and is negotiable on price, and also prepared to negotiate price in relation to who pays for repairs. Body work is in great condition. Soft top has one wear patch on inside that needs a patch placed over it so it does not cut through. Rear window in good condition. Has the genuine BMW hard top. Rolls bars....a bit of a task, but may get these parts of a wreck and put these in myself with some help (have researched it and though it's a lengthy job, it is doable, and the car has the holes already drilled, jut didn't have the roll bars installed). The car has been really well looked after and is only 2 owner, NZ new.

Has been nothing on Turners for 2 months (have been looking since beginning of August).

Regards

Robyn

Guest Si Vis Pacem

Hi Ken

Thanks for that. Much appreciated. The #1 you listed on trademe? I did a search and that one was built in Feb 1997, so is older than the one I am looking at -- though in good condition.

The car I am looking at is:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-247359947.htm

I test drove it last week.

I have also test driven:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-247506972.htm

That one had too many mechanical issues (the worse being a potentially slipping clutch -- at a repair cost of $1400 -- and that too had worn seat bushings).

The one I am looking at (the first one) is nice. It's got the smaller steering wheel and chrome bits and pieces and mechanically she drives like a dream. I only want a manual...am not interested in automatic. Seller is aware electrics on seats need to be fixed and is happy to fix them, and is negotiable on price, and also prepared to negotiate price in relation to who pays for repairs. Body work is in great condition. Soft top has one wear patch on inside that needs a patch placed over it so it does not cut through. Rear window in good condition. Has the genuine BMW hard top. Rolls bars....a bit of a task, but may get these parts of a wreck and put these in myself with some help (have researched it and though it's a lengthy job, it is doable, and the car has the holes already drilled, jut didn't have the roll bars installed). The car has been really well looked after and is only 2 owner, NZ new.

Has been nothing on Turners for 2 months (have been looking since beginning of August).

Regards

Robyn

"Has the genuine BMW hard top" You didn't say that before! :P However - I can't see the hardtop mounts in the photos on the ad'. Are you sure that the mounting kit has been fitted? Check carefully for this because it will cost $$$ to fit as there are electrical fittings to be wired in too. Nice looking car though and good that the seat repairs are part of the deal. Another thing to check is that the door on the wee cubbyhole behind the seats opens properly. This is quite a big plastic moulding and can get warped over time. As an estimate, taking into account the seat repairs, kms, condition, and hardtop (check for mounting kit though) I would say nearer the $12k mark. The one we have is NZ new, 1999, manual, 96k, all factory options, including rollbars, service history etc. etc. no hardtop though but cost $12.5k

Cheers

Ken

post-1313-1255909836.jpg

Edited by Si Vis Pacem

"Has the genuine BMW hard top" You didn't say that before! :P However - I can't see the hardtop mounts in the photos on the ad'. Are you sure that the mounting kit has been fitted? Check carefully for this because it will cost $$$ to fit as there are electrical fittings to be wired in too. Nice looking car though and good that the seat repairs are part of the deal. Another thing to check is that the door on the wee cubbyhole behind the seats opens properly. This is quite a big plastic moulding and can get warped over time. As an estimate, taking into account the seat repairs, kms, condition, and hardtop (check for mounting kit though) I would say nearer the $12k mark. The one we have is NZ new, 1999, manual, 96k, all factory options, including rollbars, service history etc. etc. no hardtop though but cost $12.5k

Cheers

Ken

post-1313-1255909836.jpg

Ooops, my error, I meant to say it had the genuine BMW SOFT TOP. I am looking at putting a hard top on though, if I buy the car, (and have found one I can probably get for $1100 -- and then there will be the cost of installation, including the rear installation kit.... so all up will cost me about $3000, but in the long run....I think it is worth having given that a brand new hard top from BMW costs $10,000).

Yes, door on cubby hole opens nicely. This car has been owned by the current person for one year, and prior to that there were a couple of car yards, but the first owner had it for 9 years, and it looks as if it has always been well looked after. No dents, no scratches, no funny sounds from the engine.

YOUR Z3 looks amazing! When did you buy it?

Regards

Robyn

WITHOUT the hard top, what would be your guidance as to the value of the car I am looking at?

Guest Si Vis Pacem

Ooops, my error, I meant to say it had the genuine BMW SOFT TOP. I am looking at putting a hard top on though, if I buy the car, (and have found one I can probably get for $1100 -- and then there will be the cost of installation, including the rear installation kit.... so all up will cost me about $3000, but in the long run....I think it is worth having given that a brand new hard top from BMW costs $10,000).

Yes, door on cubby hole opens nicely. This car has been owned by the current person for one year, and prior to that there were a couple of car yards, but the first owner had it for 9 years, and it looks as if it has always been well looked after. No dents, no scratches, no funny sounds from the engine.

YOUR Z3 looks amazing! When did you buy it?

Regards

Robyn

WITHOUT the hard top, what would be your guidance as to the value of the car I am looking at?

Better set the record straight here... The Wife's Z3! I'm rarely allowed to drive it which is ok as my daily is the red E30 in the photo. We bought it about 2 months ago but with the weather the way it's been up here lately there hasn't been many opportunities for top-down outings. $3k all up for a hardtop is probably ok unless you have all of the garage/workshop facilities yourself in which case a few $$ could be saved.

Pricing is never an exact science - overall I would be better to say a range of $12 - $13k. This one has less ks than ours but no roll bars, needs a mechanical and aircon inspection (both contribute to price variation). But what's an extra $1k here and there for on-road enjoyment? You have to decide that one! :D

Before you get a hardtop you might want to look at getting a wind diffuser, pricey for the non-rollbar version but does make the ride more comfortable.

K.

Thanks, Ken.

Much appreciated.

I think many sellers must look at the trademe listing prices and come to their own value from that, not realising that some of these cars have been listed and relisted and relisted over and over because they have not sold. They just keen on reappearing. Some do sell, yes, but many just keep doing the rounds.

By the way...your wife has a lovely car!

Regards

Robyn

Guest Si Vis Pacem

Thanks, Ken.

Much appreciated.

I think many sellers must look at the trademe listing prices and come to their own value from that, not realising that some of these cars have been listed and relisted and relisted over and over because they have not sold. They just keen on reappearing. Some do sell, yes, but many just keep doing the rounds.

By the way...your wife has a lovely car!

Regards

Robyn

I couldn't agree more; the market will decide! All the best for your pending purchase, keep us posted.

Regards

Ken.

"By the way...your wife has a lovely car!" :D

Hi Robyn

Having had a Z3 in my past purchases, I would respectfully suggest the 2.2 or the 2.8l motor as when I drove a 1.9, the power was fairly understated.

Just went online in Japan just now and the 2002 2.2l Z3 with 50,000km are selling for around 600,000 Yen which means you can land on the road here $NZ 13,500

Just something to consider :)

Regards

Ron

Hi Ron

I have been in contact with a car importer and not a single Z3 available from Japan (where he is based) was a right hand drive manual. They were all automatic/steptronic, or if it was a manual it was a left hand drive.

I know the 1.9 is not a great deal of power, but I am content with a smaller engine. It actually handles the Port Hills rather well!

I am only interested in a manual drive Z3.

I'm not after masses of power in a car (I'll get too many speeding tickets!), and the car I am currently driving (husband's Honda V6 3 ltr) is just too powerful for me. I want something smaller.

Appreciate your help and advice though.

Regards

Robyn

Robyn, the 1.9 Z3 manual is a pretty good little car, that engine appears in many BMW models, all heavier than the Z3. I think they do go well, handle pretty well too. My wife has had a 1.9 manual Z3 for the last three years and now has racked up 160,000kms. She uses it as a daily and it takes all the supermarket shopping for 4 adults.

I f you find one you like get it checked out at Jeff Gray BMW, cost used to be about $120 and will give you peace of mind and/or ammunition to negotiate a more attractive price. This may well help when getting a warranty.

All the best.

Guest Si Vis Pacem

Robyn, the 1.9 Z3 manual is a pretty good little car, that engine appears in many BMW models, all heavier than the Z3. I think they do go well, handle pretty well too. My wife has had a 1.9 manual Z3 for the last three years and now has racked up 160,000kms. She uses it as a daily and it takes all the supermarket shopping for 4 adults.

I f you find one you like get it checked out at Jeff Gray BMW, cost used to be about $120 and will give you peace of mind and/or ammunition to negotiate a more attractive price. This may well help when getting a warranty.

All the best.

I concur - the manual 1.9 is a very nippy little car. Without raising controversy, it is by and large a ladies car; not unlike an expensive pair of shoes, purchased to the owner's taste, for occasions to suit said owner and not necessarily worn every day!

As a generalisation there is better aftermarket/resale potential in the smaller engined cars of this type too.

Edited by Si Vis Pacem

Hi everyone

MAJOR UPDATE!!!

I bought me a Z3!!!!

It's the one I mentioned at the start of this thread! I am happy with the price, and all going well will have the car tomorrow (Thursday) or Friday.

I will be posting a picture.

Some issues I need to fix, (all part of the negotiations on the price), such as :

4 new tyres.

The electric switches on the seats have died (the motors are working, but the switches aren't, (not sure if we should look at replacing the entire seat with one from a wrecked Z3?)

And the air con is not working (Thank you Si Vis Pacem for telling me to have this checked) as there is no belt on it, so that will need repairing.

Will need to install an alarm.

Soft top needs some reinforcing where there is some wear each time it is put up and down.

All in all .... she is beautiful, and I am STOKED!!!!

I am looking forward to a beautiful relationship.

Pics to follow.....but in the meanwhile, I really appreciate your help, guidance, and comments.

Hi everyone

MAJOR UPDATE!!!

I bought me a Z3!!!!

Good on you, hope for a fine weekend!

You need to drive with the roof down as much as possible, driving takes on a new experience, with new sounds and smells. You will love it.