Sign in to follow this  
antony

Splitting welded 3-piece wheels

Hey

I've got some 3 piece Hartge wheels.

I got the tyres taken off today, only to find they had been welded up.

How do I go about splitting them? Lathed down by a machine shop? Anyone have experience with this?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks

Antony

Guest Ari Gold

Hat to say it, I don't think they're 3 piece. If they're Hartge Japan wheels like mine are, they're 2 piece

Hat to say it, I don't think they're 3 piece. If they're Hartge Japan wheels like mine are, they're 2 piece

Yea, theyre Hartge Japan. But I dont see how they would come apart if they were 2 piece?

Guest Ari Gold

Actually, looking at them now, they're definitely 3 piece, but the centres look to be roughly 1cm thick on the barrel side?

I wonder how you'd split them, mine look bloody finely milled - real precision stuff.

2 piece means rim and centre, 2 pieces. <_<

If they're 3 piece they must have a seal line around the join, just stanley knife them apart carefully.

Edited by Silver Fox

Are they 15x7 or 15x6.5? If they're 6.5's they're probably 2 piece.

2 piece means rim and centre, 2 pieces. <_<

If they're 3 piece they must have a seal line around the join, just stanley knife them apart carefully.

Umm, theyre welded up...

Theyre 16x7

It looks as though in there 20 odd year life someones rebuilt them and welded them up to seal them. I've heard of it happening before. Surely the weld is significally softer than the wheel?

Guest Ari Gold

Yea hold on, i'll snap some now, excuse the cobwebs and crap all over them, but what do you expect for $101 dollar rims :D

Pics up the first one shows the "welds/seals" whatever they might be between the pieces, the rest are self explanatory.

Edited by westy

Thank you very much for that.

Unfortunately, my welds look more 'rural', although they do look very precise, like machine welded maybe.

They have a faint address to Jerry Clayton on them in vivid.

They have also been milled slightly to fit bigger brakes? or for a different model BMW?

Maybe they were welded when they were rebuilt, to go on a racecar, running high psi?

Or at the factory?

E30 Bandit (Shane) or Ven have you seen your wheels without tyres?

Thanks

Antony

Edited by antony

GOOD NEWS!

Elite wheel company in chch can split them at only $30 per wheel, rather elite i think.

Hmmm, now to get some custom lips, that should be cheap right? ...wrong. :lol:

Edited by antony

Hey, sorry to bump such an old thread.

I am having the same problem with my Advan A3A's and I don't know how to split them.

I am from Canada so shipping them to NZ is pretty much out of the question for me.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

P.s. This is the only place I could find info on splitting welded 3-piece wheels. I tried Wheelwhores and have had no luck over there either.

Hey, sorry to bump such an old thread.

I am having the same problem with my Advan A3A's and I don't know how to split them.

I am from Canada so shipping them to NZ is pretty much out of the question for me.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

P.s. This is the only place I could find info on splitting welded 3-piece wheels. I tried Wheelwhores and have had no luck over there either.

Get some pro as dude to cut them apart: http://www.wheel-whores.com/forum/viewtopi...70&start=15

wheel lathe and bit.

Brugar or arrow wheels or just find an engineering shop that will do them.