Sign in to follow this  
danj

BMW as a first car?

I'm interested in your opinions about bmw's as a first car (not as a car to learn in, but as a first car to own).

I have a friend looking in the 1500~4000 price bracket for his first car:

- He is not a car enthusiast, but doesn't want a 'girls' car

- He doesn't want a modified car, or to modify the one he buys

- He essentially just wants an economical and reliable car as a daily runner.

Everyone has been telling him to get a corolla, which I tell him is good advice, but I also find myself suggesting an older 3 series bmw like this one http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-248603624.htm (as my experience with bmw's so far has been quite positive... my wallet may not agree though)

Am I doing him a disservice? Is it just going to end in frustration?

I am especially interested to hear in the opinions from e36 owners, and of course people like Glenn whom have to service the things on a regular basis...

With what your friend is looking for in his first car I would say the 316i is a good choice. Mint on gas :D

Aslong as you find one that has been looked after well, serviced etc should be all good.

Edited by E30ONP

He essentially just wants an economical and reliable car as a daily runner.

be aware,owning any ANY motor vehicle is a precursor to spending money....in varying degrees, sooner or later.

i doubt in 1 year it could have done 96000 km's though (car = 1992). the WOF people screw up the reading all the time

Emily, doubt thats anything suspicious. Was in the country/registered since February '93, doubt he did 96,000km in 6 months. Most likely just entered wrong, probably meant to be 06,000km.

There's nothing wrong with a BMW as a first car, I was lucky enough to have that pleasure. But you want to get a good one, if you settle for a average one that hasn't been looked after that well then the expenses can start piling up. My 323 has cost me $100 is normal milage related wear (Control arm bushes) since ownership. Not bad!

Good luck

i'd go corolla if i was him. BMW's are a car that you want to spend money on, and you want to drive for the hell of driving.. secretly i like it when it breaks.. i get to fix it :D

An old BMW is only cheap as far as the purchase price, I know from experience, I seem to be fixing both my cars every few weeks lol. but I don't mind, i'm a car nutter, I wouldn't recommend these cars for something thats not into cars really..

An old BMW is only cheap as far as the purchase price, I know from experience, I seem to be fixing both my cars every few weeks lol. but I don't mind, i'm a car nutter, I wouldn't recommend these cars for something thats not into cars really..

Haha! In that case I'd suggest a Honda Integra.

Common sense says Corrolla-cheap,super reliable,(but boring)-excellent for a daily.

It all depends what you get.

Most people that say that Euro's are all high maintenence pieces of crap generally have either bought a sh*tter and the previous owner(s) haven't taken care of it. Or they have bought a decent car and done nothing to it apart from put gas in it (if that even) and had it fail on them.

If you buy a decent example, and take care of it you shouldnt end up with too many problems.

Glenn is selling a nice E30 on behalf of someone.And there's always nice tidy E30's popping up for well under 4k.

Common sense says Corrolla-cheap,super reliable,(but boring)-excellent for a daily.

Nail on the head.

When buying a car choose 2 of the following 3:

Fast

Reliable

Cheap

It all depends what you get.

Most people that say that Euro's are all high maintenence pieces of crap generally have either bought a sh*tter and the previous owner(s) haven't taken care of it. Or they have bought a decent car and done nothing to it apart from put gas in it (if that even) and had it fail on them.

If you buy a decent example, and take care of it you shouldnt end up with too many problems.

I think that is exactly it, "taking care of it" get it checked out if something doesn't feel or sound right. It certainly does cost more to "take care of it". BMW are nicer car to drive due to quality parts.

Like others have expressed their opinion, 1600cc no way, unless your friend wants the badge rather than a car.

Personally, I would say anyone who is not a car enthusiast would definitely get frustrated if a car is not reliable and cost them time & money.

Nothing worse than buying a $4k car then after year, you realise you have already spent $2k

My first car was an e30. It was a great car for my first. Small, not too bad on gas, and also not embarrasing to drive like a corolla. Like said, make sure they get a decent one though, and something a bit bigger then a 316.