Sign in to follow this  
twisted

E34 540i Exhaust

Hey all.

Sometimes my exhaust is a lot louder than other times on my 540. My Legacy has a butterfly valve arrangement in the rear can that activates at certain revs, giving it a deeper sound; and am thinking that my 540 must have something similar that must be playing up?

The 540 has no cats from factory (two small bmw branded mufflers where cats would be) and has had the center muffler replaced with resonators. Normally it sounds quite muted, but other times it has a real V8 bark.

anyone have any ideas?

Hey all.

Sometimes my exhaust is a lot louder than other times on my 540. My Legacy has a butterfly valve arrangement in the rear can that activates at certain revs, giving it a deeper sound; and am thinking that my 540 must have something similar that must be playing up?

The 540 has no cats from factory (two small bmw branded mufflers where cats would be) and has had the center muffler replaced with resonators. Normally it sounds quite muted, but other times it has a real V8 bark.

anyone have any ideas?

not that i am aware.....prolly related to throttle position and surrounding environs.....

not that i am aware.....prolly related to throttle position and surrounding environs.....

Nope, Definitely not. My Job is testing software, and i have applied the same kind of analysis to this and there is definitely an issue here that is random in nature.

My first thought was clogged cats, clogging/unclogging but then i crawled under and no cats!

Only pattern that seems to be prevalent is that the car will be well warm when it starts doing it.

I'm confused tbh! :P

Edited by twisted

maybe some of the baffels are rusty and moving around etc .

maybe some of the baffels are rusty and moving around etc .

Could be just the excuse i need to do the whole exhaust huh? ;)

The exhaust flap on the E36 328 can be seen by crawling under the exhaust - you'll see a hose leading to the actuator near the exhaust tips. Would think an E34 would have a similar system if it had one.

The exhaust flap on the E36 328 can be seen by crawling under the exhaust - you'll see a hose leading to the actuator near the exhaust tips. Would think an E34 would have a similar system if it had one.

I used to work in a BMW garage back in aust, i seen alot of e36 beemas with this feature, mainly on the twin tip exit mufflers, the actuators opened when car was warm and at higher revs, its possibly a back pressure feature.

I could be wrong but please dont hesitate to correct me.