Sign in to follow this  
MattA

Importing of parts

Has anyone imported parts from the US and UK if so who did you use for shipping?

Have found a couple of slippery diffs that look to be viable if shipping isn't stupid.

If any one is interested and this works out I will have 2 from US and possiblly 3 from UK ratios 3.73 x3 and 4.10. the other not sure at the moment.

Before anyone starts putting thier hands up it is still very much unconfirmed.. so price will be advised later.

price will be the determining factor really....i know andy wants one.....if you have any 3.91 i might even be keen! also if they are fresh rebuilt ones or possible skanky old 2nd hand ones might make a diff....bear in mind a quaife aftermarket one (which would last forever) runs to about $1500 so if would have to be competitive.....not sure about shipping ill have a think and get back to you on that

Been looking at shipping ex US can't seem to get any thing pricewise for surface shipping and air works out at a whopping US$600 which is more than a return ticket. They weigh 40kg. Does the Quaife require that you have an existing case?

Shipping ex UK is fairly cheap about NZ$150 surface so be anything up to 3 months.

Edited by MattA

I can arrange shipping (Air) ex L.A. for $2.30 U.S./Kg. With a minimum charge of $35 U.S. So a 40 Kg diff head would cost around $150 NZ. Moving it to the depot in L.A. is extra as is sending it anywhere other than Auckland.

The diffs from the states are not looking to good the guy I've been dealing with has dissapeared.. diffs ex UK are looking good and I have my father in law looking while he's there so condition will be less of a gamble. He's looked at one today but it's incomplete (see post in maintanence) and others over the next few weeks.. will keep everyone posted

cheers Matt.

look in the phone book for freight companies.I was surprised how cheap it was.I was quoted 130 us per cubic metre and weight wasnt a factor,plus a few other charges.The minumum charge is 130 or so.Container ships come to nz all the time from all over the place.Check it out.Obvously air will be weight dependent.

Hi Guys, just joined today :) here;s my 2c worth...I have been & sold logistics & Supply chain management for the last 13 years..so i might have awee bit of detail & data for you.

1. Shipping USA unless this is a smaller item Less than 50kgs use Seafreight - Why - 12-14 Days transit ex LA to AKL..charges can be as low as 60-70USD per m3/1000kgs which ever is the greater plus some other ancillary charges..im working logistics for an Importer now but i can still go through my mates for discounted freight even id you do want to move via Air..also any Customs clearance proceedures..but for the better part if the goods are for your cars...have it listed as performace and you avoid any Duties :)

2. Shipping ex UK or anywhere else..is same as above...bare in mind that unless the goods are coming from Australia all quoted freight rates to you will be in USD (as primary currency) unless you are talking local charges..Docs / Pickup / Export charges etc which are mostly in the origin currency i.e ex Europe would be in Euro excluding the freight again which is in USD.

Its a very simple matter but if anyone wants any help on this eMail me on: bmwboy325i@hotmail.com

I have been bringing in car parts going back as far as i was the inital importer of Redline Oils before it was handed to RPM imports in Wellington so i might have a wee bit of been there done that..which will save you all time & money...glad to help.

Mike

The other thing to remember is GST, anything valued over $400nz(incl shipping costs) gets hit.

I was in comunication with KAAZ in the US, they can do a LSD centre for ~$1990.

Before you all choke, this is a brand new race spec unit, not some 2nd hand worn out BMW LSD centre which only has 2 clutch plates & 25% lock-up.

Posted Image

Guest Andrew

The other thing to remember is GST, anything valued over $400nz(incl shipping costs) gets hit.

I was in comunication with KAAZ in the US, they can do a LSD centre for ~$1990.

Before you all choke, this is a brand new race spec unit, not some 2nd hand worn out BMW LSD centre which only has 2 clutch plates & 25% lock-up.

Posted Image

What happened to the local quaife builders? 1500 ish?

Quaife = $1900 plus GST 41% lockup

ATF = $2830 incl GST 41% lock up

BMW Diff from UK landed $600, and looking like I'll get change no GST comming back with friends tea chest total freight cost NZ$45.

Have found a few in the States but freight (US domestic) cost are putting the price up so am just looking uk.

Would love a quaife but at 1/3 the cost I'll be very happy with the BMW and will send to Graham Clyde to machine and increase pre-load to 40% or just add shims myself.

They are out there people and cheap..

Edited by MattA

The price I was quoted for the Quaife unit is $1660 from Palmside in Chch.

The quaife will have a lock-up rate not a %, being a torsen it varies from open to fully locked!! the rate at which it does that can be specified 5:1 or 3:1 I think it is.

I also got prices from Dan @ diffsonline in the US,

For a 40% 2clutch LSD Centre it was $950US shipped ($1600nz incl GST)

For a 40% 4clutch LSD Centre it was $1250US shipped ($2100nz incl GST)

Matt, have you spoken to GAC lately about rebuilding the BMW LSD??

When I spoke to graham he told me BMW not longer supplies the clutch plates & shims and he needs to get them made, when the lock up is increased he also adds a second set of shims & plates, the cost for a rebuild was ~$500, to rebuild & increase the lock-up was ~$900.

That on top of the initial $600 & Do that every couple of years.

OUCH.

All fun and games!!!

Haven't spoken with GC but was talking to Kevin Mosen but $ he was talking may have been what he paid (mates rates) dunno at this stage, Thanks Glenn I'll have to do more homework...

M325i - ~$8k +

:D

matt let me know how you go with diff rebuilds, ill prob be interested one day