Sign in to follow this  
khairul23

Passenger seat air bag sensor pad

If the passenger seat air bag sensor pad is faulty and triggers the airbag fault light, is there a cheap way of bypassing the sensor? My mechanic reset the sensor, so now the fault light is off and the airbag system is functional. But he suspects that as soon as someone sits on the passenger seat, the airbag system will register a fault and will not function, and the fault light will on again. I was thinking, is it not possible that the system just ignores the passenger seat sensor altogether? If this can be done, how?

For added info if it helps, the car is an E39 520i year 1996.

I'd advise you to have a talk to Glenn.

I have that problem in my car. But I find the airbag fault light comes on everytime something is shoved under the passenger seat.

Nothing I can really do but clear the fault code before every warrant.

Edit. I had the sensor replaced just after I bought my car, cost me $800, which was an absolute waste as it didnt fix the fault code coming up! Grr.

Edited by MS BM

If the passenger seat air bag sensor pad is faulty and triggers the airbag fault light, is there a cheap way of bypassing the sensor? My mechanic reset the sensor, so now the fault light is off and the airbag system is functional. But he suspects that as soon as someone sits on the passenger seat, the airbag system will register a fault and will not function, and the fault light will on again. I was thinking, is it not possible that the system just ignores the passenger seat sensor altogether? If this can be done, how?

For added info if it helps, the car is an E39 520i year 1996.

If the warning light comes on again and the same fault code is recorded, it will need a new sensor mat.

Edit. I had the sensor replaced just after I bought my car, cost me $800, which was an absolute waste as it didnt fix the fault code coming up! Grr.

Thats probably because its something else now Emily... its not just sensor mats that will throw a fault code.

I'd advise you to have a talk to Glenn.

I have that problem in my car. But I find the airbag fault light comes on everytime something is shoved under the passenger seat.

Nothing I can really do but clear the fault code before every warrant.

I just found a thread discussing the same thing. Glenn really stressed on properly replacing it, that he even offered the guy to do it for free, only charged for parts. I would love to take up that offer, if Glenn is still kind enough :). But I'm in Dunedin.

If the warning light comes on again and the same fault code is recorded, it will need a new sensor mat.

Thanks Glenn. And I've just read your posts in a similar thread. Since the reset, I've never had anyone sitting on the seat, so the warning light is still off.