Sign in to follow this  
clintonr

Powerchip Remap: Anyone tried these?

Definately not as well as. Gavin will pull it out and start again. He writes a new chip for your car.

It is a cheap alternative. You get what you pay for. Will it give you more horsepower? Possibly. Will it be better than factory? Maybe. Will it be more economical on fuel? Unlikely. Will it be safe for your motor? Maybe, maybe not. Will Gavin's tune be better and safe for your motor? Definately.

I'm not bagging powerchips, its just that it's really difficult to write a good universal chip for an old car as they all wear differently, and it's impossible to compensate for all eventualities. With a trip down to Gavin's your new chip will be customised to your car and your expectations (unless they are unrealistic).

Thanks Bravo. I figured that Gavin would be the better option but just wanted to make sure. If I'm planning on doing a few small mods, would it be better to take it to him after they are done?

Yes, definately as they may alter the characteristics of the motor, and thus the tune. It would probably still run fine depending on the mods, but you'll get better bang for your $ if you get the tune afterward.

there are a lot of different things that vary a tune.

Fuel Quality, Mod's, Temprature, Wear, etc...

A powerchip/superchip/etc... are a stock map made for a generic upgrade, it doesn't account for NZ's fuel/Conditions when it's done... I know a friend had a chip sent from japan for his mivec that all the jap boys raved about, and in nz where the fuel isn't as good it made his car run like crap!

A custom tune is typically always going to be better as it will account for the state of the car / conditions that the car is in. 

Someone smarter than me can fill you in on more details... 

From reading the threads it's $1000+gst (well it was a few months ago) and it's an all day thing. Going off everyone that's had it done though it seems to be well worth the money.

what bravo said , gavin can get any bmw humming to its best . dont go for the little bit less money, spend it with gavin!!!! ftw

i'd recommend tho doing a dyno run with gavin before you start modifing the car so you have a baseline for you mods... Gavin charges about $100 or so for the run.

A club dyno day can get the cost lower... if someone wants to arrange one