Sign in to follow this  
mackt

E39 MAF

Hi

The 540 started misbehaving the other day - loss of power when passing!! Decided it was an ignition coil going - anyway went to the local $tealer and got told my oxygen sensor needs replacing $1K - I needed the oxygen stat :wacko:

Now I am not adverse to spending some coin on looking after the car but my brain can't cope with something the size of an ipod shuffle costing $1000 bucks.

Bit of research online has suggested giving it a clean - that is definitely option 1 $25 for some CRC MAF cleaning spray.

Option 2: Get a BOSCH OEM replacement ( F 00C 2G2 029 BOCSH MAF) from bimmerzone.com for about $300 NZD delivered.

Or is there somewhere I can get one of these locally?

Thanks

Tim

I get my bosch sensors etc ordered in from my friendly local auto sparky, eg. $110 bosh sensor from bmw costed me $20 from him......

I get my bosch sensors etc ordered in from my friendly local auto sparky, eg. $110 bosh sensor from bmw costed me $20 from him......

Hey thanks for that - for some reason I didn't think about the easy option!! Off to my sparky soon.

:D All sorted - gave the sensor a clean with contact solvent cleaner. The cotton bud was black after cleaning the wire!!

Went for a test drive and popped it into third - the roar was back and no loss of power - so hopefully a medium term fix. Off to Dunedin tomorrow so that will confirm if I need to replace or not.

Well I think the cleaning the sensor has worked a treat - the trip to Dunedin and back was uneventful and performance was like it used to be - it's interesting how you don't notice a slow degradation in performance overtime...