Sign in to follow this  
oscar90

Re- Rego/Compliance

So my 86 325i is actually progressing toward a standard of being able to go for its re registration test soon (money pending haha damn christmas), so just after a heads up , whats commonly picked on or required??

it has the "easier" of the two test apparently because its been registered in NZ previously before a certain year so somethings may differ compared to a full blowen compliance test but you never know i suppose every inspector is different

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew, it will still need a full compliance, but being already registered in NZ previously, you will not need a "Letter of Compliance" from BMW. It is still going to cost the best part of $600.00 plus $300.00 for your first registration. I have always work on the theory of $1,000.00 to comply and register a car plus whatever faults are picked up during the compliance check.

Edited by C0SM0S

Just been over this exercise for one of my vehicles.

We used VINZ and the cost of the inspection was $343.10, rego was $508.86, for 12 months and using my own number plates.

Our vehicle was 1st registered in NZ in '87, apparently the criteria for inspection changes for vehicles 1st rego'd in '90 (tougher inspection. However the inspection we did, was a wheels off exercise, with all brake components being inspected and measured - so this would be a fairly good starting point - make sure that the fluid is fresh and all components are within factory specs - suggest that you need to be running fairly new OEM spec pads, also check for rust on brake hard lines, and power steering lines

also worn or wearing bushes are a common part they pick up

Yeah just quoting what I said in Sick Puppy's post.

If there is ANY rust. Forget it. If the car has ever had a moderate to serious accident. Forget it.

They check things like seatbelt wear, seat movement (worn out joints etc), exuast volume does matter at compliance.

If you can find something wrong. They will find it too. Even carpets are lifted to search for rust etc.

Other than those points. Treat it like it is the most anal WOF check guy that hates your guts so is going out of his way to find problems. If you think that and still can't find problems. She should get through ok.