Sign in to follow this  
s da

manual coversion 525e block & box into 320i

hey, I'm putting a 1987 525e motor and gearbox into a 1988 320i auto using the head, toothed crank sensor and wiring from the 2L auto etc so was wondering about the A/B sensors in the bell-housing (getrag 260) ie what the hell do they do & do they become obsolete when using a toothed crank sensor?

also.... from what I understand the flywheel on the m20b27 has 2 parts to it... are all m20's like this or do different models have single flywheels? (was thinking about using a lighter fly wheel)

also..... also..... there is a two wire sender near the top of the gear box is this a neutral saftey switch like the automatics have?

have in the past swapped earlier e30 m20b25 & gearbox with out toothed crank sensor into a 88 318i auto but that was prefacelift motor and box into a later car!!!!!

Edited by s da
remove name

hey, I'm putting a 1987 525e motor and gearbox into a 1988 320i auto using the head, toothed crank sensor and wiring from the 2L auto etc so was wondering about the A/B sensors in the bell-housing (getrag 260) ie what the hell do they do & do they become obsolete when using a toothed crank sensor?

if you are using the later motronic loom and sensors you dont need teh old ones on the gearbox.

are you going to fit the 2L head and manifold to th eeta engine and get the ecu reprogrammed to suit .

otherwise trying to run the eta engine on a 2l ecu will be crap

also.... from what I understand the flywheel on the m20b27 has 2 parts to it... are all m20's like this or do different models have single flywheels? (was thinking about using a lighter fly wheel)

yes it will be a dual mass flywheel about 12.5kg .

or you could use any m20 flywheel and clutch if want to go to a lighter one.

also..... also..... there is a two wire sender near the top of the gear box is this a neutral saftey switch like the automatics have?

thats the reverse light switch

have in the past swapped earlier e30 m20b25 & gearbox with out toothed crank sensor into a 88 318i auto but that was prefacelift motor and box into a later car!!!!!

cheers paul d

good luck .

cheers paul d

............. was looking in haynes manual for gearbox sensors info instead of looking under engine management!

"Early Motronic

systems have the reference sensor and the

speed sensor mounted on the bellhousing

over the flywheel. Later Motronic systems

have a single sensor (pulse sensor) mounted

over the crankshaft pulley. This sensor

functions as a speed sensor as well as a

position sensor"