Sign in to follow this  
WarNox

Car won't start - starter motor!?

Hey!

This morning I get into my car to go to work and it would not start. The engine was not turning over. I stopped trying after a while but sounded like the starter motor kept on going and the only way to stop it was pulling off the battery lead. If I put the battery back in the starter motor starts going again. Anyone know if this is just a faulty starter motor? And if it's easy to replace it?

Thanks,

Gregor

Thanks Glenn! Do you know of an easy test I can do to find out which one it is?

I do have a multimeter available yes.

Check power at the starter and check starter exciter wire from ignition switch to starter solenoid. If you have constant power on the exciter wire, its the ignition switch. If not check the larger terminals on the starter if you have constant power on both and no starter wire power feed, its a stuck solenoid on the starter. Hope you can understand that.. if not...ring me (09)2722546

I will try this tonight and let you know how I go. To reach these wires on the started, do I have to remove the manifold?

I will try this tonight and let you know how I go. To reach these wires on the started, do I have to remove the manifold?

No...underneath is easiest... a bit akward though without a hoist.. If in doubt, get it towed to your local sparky

BTW: Please edit your profile with your first name & location

Edited by *Glenn*