Sign in to follow this  
louis297

CHCH Dash Swap

E30 dash anyone no what I would be expected to pay for a swap ? anyone in chch wanna do it, I will pay of course

Thanks

^ It isn't that hard, half a day and a little patience and you can do it. There are TONS of DIY's on the net.

Oh go on it's easy and fun - well maybe not fun, but if you take your time and label your wires and switch connectors as you go it is really quite easy. Once everything is removed from the dash, the dash itself is quite easy to unbolt from both sides of the car and take out. I'm a slow worker and it took me 8 hours to do mine from start to finish and it was well worth it.

post-769-1256888633.jpg

Edited by ducatiss

Ive had a look, but really not confident enough

its worth having a go, these E30's are really a DIY kinda car, if you pay someone else to do everything on your car it will soon owe you a small fortune, i'm speaking from experience here too. hehe

Oh go on it's easy and fun - well maybe not fun, but if you take your time and label your wires and switch connectors as you go it is really quite easy. Once everything is removed from the dash, the dash itself is quite easy to unbolt from both sides of the car and take out. I'm a slow worker and it took me 8 hours to do mine from start to finish and it was well worth it.

I'm pretty sure that picture would scary anyone off even attempting it! :P

I would suggest a couple of things might make life a bit easier.

1) Having a proper workspace and beg/borrow/steal some tools for the day

2) take your time or maybe do some work in blocks of a hour or so

3) Have a practical minded friend or somebody help you out for the day

All of this means you will have less stress and more brains with the correct tools to do things carefully and sensibly and without damaging stuff and it comes apart.

I have done a dash swap on a Nissan bluebird and it was an absolute nightmare but by following members advice on here it would have been a hell of a lot easier

Guest FrantiC

Picture above is real daunting, It actually isn't all too bad. Did this myself for the first time last week. Really isn't that hard.

DIY saves you HUGE amounts of money.

Hello Louis,

I have taken one out before and reinstalled it fine. Do you have any tools? What area in ChCh are you in? You can PM me if you would like to make a time.

Cheers

Sorry didnt mean to scare you with the pic of the missing dash lol So here's another couple - one is after the dash has just gone in and the other after job complete. I agree that the E30 is now a do it yourself sort of car. They are not hard to work on and I learned as I went through the help from members of this forum, the internet, a workshop manual, and common sense. The link below will take you to some exellent instructions that will guide you thru the process - photos included!

http://home.comcast.net/~cdeegan9/dashboard/dashboard_1.html

But if you want to pay someone else to do the dash swop I guess that's your call.

post-769-1258257600.jpg

post-769-1258257608.jpg

Edited by ducatiss

Dashes are fiddly things, heaps little bits and pieces. Just try to keep organized and you will be fine.

Try to keep the nuts and bolts either label'd if your OCD or in 1 place. Don't spread your sh*t everywhere, you'll never remember where it is when you need it.

Don't get to worried if you have a few screws left over, as long as everything is solid.