Sign in to follow this  
robyntan

Stabilising the broken seat belt guide on a Z3

My seat belt guide was broken, but this fix seems to be holding it nice and secure.

post-4920-1257028500.jpg

Guest FrantiC

Wouldn't you be better to replace it?

Wouldn't look so dodgy and seatbelts do save lives :ph34r:

Mine broke there too on both seats. Easy fix from memory, 4 years ago - just have to remove the back of the seat (unclips I think) and then work from there.

Wouldn't you be better to replace it?

Wouldn't look so dodgy and seatbelts do save lives :ph34r:

I doubt this is unsafe, It's just the guide to allow the belt move a bit more smoothly.

New one from BMW ChCh: $83.28

I have actually bought the part, just have other things that need fixing ahead of this. Can anyone here post pics of how to install it? Info on the internet seems to indicate it is a tricky job? Who can show me how to unfasten the seat back? Pics please!!!

Gotta love heat shrink! Used in on my escrima sticks too!!

If this was going to be a permanent fix I would stitch something over it, so that it looks like the repair on Roadster Solutions. This is the link to see that:

http://www.roadstersolutions.com/page39.html

All I am doing with the heat shrink is stabilizing the seat belt guide so that it doesn't flop around damaging the leather. And it HOLDS the seat belt in there. It looks a cheapo repair because it IS, and as I said, I'll do something prettier with it later. To be honest, I would put something on a new seat belt guide as well to STOP this breakage from happening in the first place. Prevention is cheaper than repair!

Next job on seats is the bushings, then the electrics, and then I'll look at the seat belt guide...