Sign in to follow this  
QuickSilver

E36 Electric window

So Alex and I have been spending the afternoon putting in new electric window regulators, motors and sliders in my car...

The passenger has always had the window that would only wind up or down about one inch at the time so you have to press the up or down button about 16 times to get it fully open or fully closed.

We have just put in the new regulator and motor and sliders yet the window still does the inch at a time thing.. grr.

So I have come to the conclusion that it is the passenger electric window relay. So what I am asking is, where is the relay (I dont mean the relays in the box in the engine bay (I dont think)

Or does anyone else know what could be causing this problem?

Cheers

Ryan , not alex

Edited by QuickSilver

hhhm mmm

is it a early e36 coupe . i have same problem with my 92 325i coupe . never bothered to try and fix it . but sometimes it will work fine ??

maybe check the dam jam switch is working properly inside the door latch mech if its early coupe or in the door jam catch if later e36

Alex here, I've carried out a few tests, checked the door jam switch (switch inside the hook on the body not door).

The only thing to note with that switch is that the window will not go UP unless the switch is deperessed (door closed) but will go down (bit by bit)

Also, the motor and regulator are fine, I have tested them with 12 volts and they move freely up and down. Tested all the electrics, its simply not delivering a stream of power, it's delivering voltage in "bursts". Which makes me think its to do with a relay or something similar.

Have also tested both switches, and tried different ones, this is not the problem.

found this with google .

on a couple of webpages ..

"Both my windows are messed up, it's common on the e36.

Mine only go up/down in 2 inch increments, so you have to keep pushing the button to get them to move.

The reason for this problem is that the window motor has a sensor composed of a donut magnet on the motor shaft. This magnet spins around in a set of coils which tell the car where the window is. Unfortunately the glue that holds this magnet to the shaft breaks down, and the magnet starts to slide around, meaning that the car can't tell when the window is up or down anymore. I've seen people try to fix this by opening up the window motor and gluing the donut magnet back in its place. I tried this, with no success, and by the time it was over I was glad just to get the window motor assembly back together. I wouldn't recommend trying to fix it like that, although new motor assemblies cost around $200 I've learned to live with it for the time being, I may get it fixed one day, ''

and from another website

""On the coupes the windows can jerk up one inch at a time if they fail, this is because the magnet on the motor shaft moves out of position or falls off.""

so maybe the fault is in the motor , maybe your second one has the same fault ??? <_<

some more links .

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190119

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238468

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

Yes I read this too, I'm going to take apart the first window motor and see if the ring has slipped, at least there is one in the car already, this would also explain why it works with a 12V current running through it as there is no circuit breaker.

Both my windows when i first purchased my bmr did this.. if i click the button up once it would go up a few inch's then stop and go down like 2cm. if i hold the button down it will go all the way back up without stopping. i just thought this was how bmw windows worked haha.

But then one day my passenger window stopped working so i went to ray and got a new motor for it. Went home and chucked it in and now when i press the button once to go down it will go all the way down just like my drivers window, but when i click it once to go up it goes all the way up.... im not complaining cause i actually like it like this now haha but i just thought i would share my strange experience with the windows mechs.

I have a 95 Coupe e36