Sign in to follow this  
bdogg

starter problems or something

I was wondering if ne1 could help, i recently converted my car to a manual but it seems to have trouble starting? do i have to change the starter or fuel filter or nething at all??? hopeing its a cheap$$$ fix im broke...... well not yet but will be in a week:(

Be more specific with the "trouble starting" otherwise it could be any number of factors.

What does it sound like when starting?

Does the car start?

How does it idle after started?

How does it run after started?

What gearbox did you stick into the car, ie, what getrag number?

Who did the g/box conversion?

If it has not run since the swap, have you bypassed the in hibit form the old autobox.

The way that autos stop you from starting in gear! B)

i have done that, the starter makes the wind up noise but i have push the acceleration down to start the car and have to hold it down or else it stalls... ne ideas? my wires were in the glove box area? green/balck wires?

Sounds like you simply need to just adjust your idle as it may be set too low but in saying that it could also be a mismatched g/box. What's the lowest rpm you can lift your accelerator off to before it stalls?

Edited by ///Carl

Ummm... about 1500. Its from a 1990 316i and mines 1990 318i? problem? is the manual starter different? coz ihavent changed it from the auto one? Oh and my car has trouble idling, the rev just seem to drop? help:(?

Sounds like a vacuum leak. It's possible that in the conversion a vacuum pipe from the auto box to the engine may have been left dangling or open. This is effectively like taking the oil cap off while running the car, kills it.

I had a vacuum leak on my car post conversion although it was to do with the air intake cock - meant too much air was getting sucked into the fuel mixture making it run quite lean.

Check for a vacuum leak around the engine and intake, you may have to listen for air getting sucked into a pipe somewhere, if you find it and it's a pipe going nowhere then block it (unless it is supposed to go somewhere and it's been knocked off).

Check your intake air cock (fat black bendy rubber piping from AFM to intake) isn't split, you'll need to check this from top and bottom and may need to take this off to check.

Check that the pipe from the intake manifold to the fuel pressure regulator isn't split or worn out.

Edited by ///Carl