Sign in to follow this  
zoom-motorsports

83 e30 320i idle problem?

i have the most annoying problem with my car in that it idle is realy high when the motor is warm.

i have changed the idle valve the one under the intake manifold and it is still the same.

i changed all the little vacume hoses still the same. if i take the oil cap off while it is running and warm it idles realy well ?????????????? if anyone might be able to point me in the right direction that would be awsome. :rolleyes: its the old style fuel injection system. cheers

Did you check that the valve was working ?? It should be open cold and closed if you put it in boiling water and did you check that you had water flow through the hoses to the cold start valve under the manifold ?? If the hoses are blocked it wont allow the valve to close as it warms up. If the thermostat is faulty and its running too cold it will idle too high innitially when you slow down or stop. Also check throttle butterfly setting and TPI switch operation, incase this has been tampered with. Incorrect ignition timing can also cause high idle. The early engines also have an idle adjustment air bleed valve on the drivers side of the inlet manifold for adjusting idle speed. Lastly... check for manifold air leaks.

Sorry to kinda highjack your thread but I have a 1987 525e and I seem to have a similar problem with intermittent high idle. Would the troubleshooting be the same as the 320?

Cheers

Similar... give me chassis #..last 7 digits and I'll check in the morning.. got visitors coming