Sign in to follow this  
Kaz

Fixing a fibreglass front bumper.

Well basically last night on the way home a possum came out of no where, I tried to avoid it but it still ended up hitting the right side of my front bumper. The result of this was not too good as it had pushed the whole bumper to the left, snapping the screws holding it in place, as well as some large paint chips/scratches along it and cracking the fibreglass on the right hand side where it hit.

Is it possible to get the fibreglass fixed? And what would the best way to do this be? Also how expensive would it be?

I'll take the whole bumper off tomorrow to see the extent of the damage on the inside. ATM it is just held on by 1 screw (the only 1 that didn't snap).

Some pics of the damage:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also while I'm at it, I was wondering how I could stick on my side skirt properly. It is screwed on by the front and rear tires but in the middle it sags out from the car. I have tried several different double sided adhesives but none of them worked. Is there anything stronger that will keep it properly attached that anyone can recommend?

Here is what it looks like:

Posted Image

Thanks for any and all help,

Kaz

We would probably get the bumper done for 250-300 not including paint.

Use Urethane for the sideskirt

We would probably get the bumper done for 250-300 not including paint.

Use Urethane for the sideskirt

What does fixing it involve?

my cousin makes,fixes,imports and rebiulds fibreglass car kits for the car industry as her profession.

does good,high quailty work.

has just finished making a e28 motorsport front bumper.

call Ciska,021-1847799

What does fixing it involve?

I would remove the bumper [obviously] sand back all the damaged area and a few inches around it. Then, all cracks would be "vee'd" and filled with resin the a sheet or two over them, any bent areas would be cut and remade or glassed back into place [depending on how bent]. Then smooth it with bog and put it back on, during the process the bumper would go on and off the car many times to make it perfect.

That's the easy way.

Also would I need to get the whole thing repainted? Or could some places just touch it up? As the previous owner just had the front repainted not so long ago so the rest of the paint is in good condition.

Also would I need to get the whole thing repainted? Or could some places just touch it up? As the previous owner just had the front repainted not so long ago so the rest of the paint is in good condition.

Would all depend on how much paint is damaged, but, a good painter should be able to get away with painting only part of it.

Also depends on the kind of paint it was painted with