Sign in to follow this  
jonomayo

E30 318i

Hey

Im looking for a E30 for a daily drive as I am a student. I dont mind if its a 318 really as I think too much power for someone like me wouldnt be the best idea, however I would prefer a manual.

Would this be an alright buy, ignoring the fact it is auto, for the price:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-255384447.htm

I had a talk to the guy and he thinks its worth around 1-1.2k and just needs a battery to get it going enough to pass a warrent. According to carjam the rego is type X and exempt, does this mean it has it on hold and doesnt need revining or whatever the process is?

I have about $3k to spend, but the least possible for a decent one would be good. Also the location (Tauranga) is good so I dont have to travel.

Thanks for any help,

Jonathan

Edited by jonomayo

I would suggest getting this -

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-254589910.htm

Although the gearbox is gone if you got it for a grand then, put a new automagic box in it, or a manual one then you could have a very nice E30 320i, a little more gutsy than a 318i and plus the pre facelift 318i and 316i had the M10 engine, and lets just say its not quite as technologically advanced as the M20 like in the 320i.

And plus that one has black leather mmmmm.

Transport from Auckland is the only issue I can see. Not sure how that would work as I have to capacity to tow anything...

I've actually talked to this guy about getting this car, because I was interested in buying it, but I am heading overseas next year on a student exchange for a year, so not much point in buying.

Anyway, I believe the quote he got of $1200 was from HellBM a sponsor on here, if you talked to him or someone else on here I'm sure they wouldn't mind towing the car over to HellBM workshop maybe for a couple of boxes of beer then getting the gearbox done and then you picking it up.

Up to you really but if it were me I'd be heading down that track

If I were to go down the route of the 318i, mainly because I'm not too sure that my parents would be too keen on the other option even though I am, what do you guys think that car is worth? If it is just a battery like he says, what do you more experienced people think?

Bearing in mind that I am 17 and living at home so basically what they say goes lol...

Edited by jonomayo

Being 17 you may have a hard time getting insurance on a 6 cylinder engine. I realise that its only 2L, but insurance companies don't seem to care much and do have strict rules.

Be sure to call your insurance company and check you can get insurance on the car before you buy it.

Yea thanks for the heads up on that but I have, and they will, but full comprehensive is so expensive that its not financially viable :banghead: . Third party is not too bad though.

Put it in your Mum or Dads name and Insure through your parents with one of them as the main driver and you as a "named/listed driver", it's how 99% of my mates and I insured our cars when we were at high school, none ever had a problem claiming etc, aslong as its not 70mm off the ground with a huge exhaust and matt black the insurance company wont have an issue as it would be quite possible your parents drive it.