Sign in to follow this  
Gunner

Trim Panel Question

Atm im trying to separate the door cloth panel from the actual door panel. Is there anyway To do this properly or will it just take time and patient, carefulness not to break it?

Atm im trying to separate the door cloth panel from the actual door panel. Is there anyway To do this properly or will it just take time and patient, carefulness not to break it?

On an early E36 the panel insert was attached to the door panel by melting the plastic over the back. Only way of taking it of was to break them by pulling hard, and then finding some other method e.g.: nuts and bolts to put them back together, or you just use good old glue.

Not sure if the later cars have a different system.

On an early E36 the panel insert was attached to the door panel by melting the plastic over the back. Only way of taking it of was to break them by pulling hard, and then finding some other method e.g.: nuts and bolts to put them back together, or you just use good old glue.

Not sure if the later cars have a different system.

thanks for the quick response. At the moment i've managed to get half of it off slowly. By pullng and sticking a blade behind cutting it apart slowly.

Have some '99 door cards and some '98 door cards. Both are secured just by really strong glue. Tried pulling the insert out but couldn't be bothered in the end, and I didn't want to damage it seeing it was mint.

I had all my door cards done not so long ago, They melted the plastc tabs off from the back removed the cloth and scrapped away the glue. When these were all made the glue was made from a recylcled material, little did they realise over time this would degrade and just turn to dust. Anyway they recovered mine in a material of my choice and it was put back in with cupscrews, Now they look bloody fantastic, Cost me $60 each but i think the quality of the work that was done and the final result was way worth it.

I had all my door cards done not so long ago, They melted the plastc tabs off from the back removed the cloth and scrapped away the glue. When these were all made the glue was made from a recylcled material, little did they realise over time this would degrade and just turn to dust. Anyway they recovered mine in a material of my choice and it was put back in with cupscrews, Now they look bloody fantastic, Cost me $60 each but i think the quality of the work that was done and the final result was way worth it.

60$ each that sounds very reasonable. yea i saw behind my current cloth its all brown dust particles now aye. Hopefully i can find a place n the north shore that does something like that

Edited by Nite

This dust particle stuff, was this same stuff used for e34's? My door cards are falling apart, I was figuring it was sponge, but if it can be repaired...