Sign in to follow this  
kingkarl

Some muppet broke my amp

After a quick jaunt with a mate in the boot on saturday night, the 2 line in cables from the headunit to the amp were pulled out sideways and the pins are now jammed in the connections. As you can see below. Sorry for the rubbish pictures, but you get the idea.

post-3198-1259528492.jpg

post-3198-1259528498.jpg

I've tried getting them out with tweasers and pins and so on, but no luck.

Any ideas to get them out? Or should I just take it to a car audio place?

Bugger. I can't say that there'd be an easy way to do it. Maybe solder a wire to the pin and pull it out? But if you aren't careful you'll make a mess of your plug and/or transfer heat into the circuit board (bad if too much).

Might be less stressful to take it to an electronics expert. Shouldn't cost all that much considering the value of the amp.

If there's no warranty, then undo the plate on the base of the amp giving you access to the guts of the amp. Alot of the RCA connectors are hollow all the way through so you may be able to push them out from the inside.

Another option could be hot glue which should come off your rca terminals once set and hopefully would have enough grip to pull the pins out. I've never tried that so that's at your own risk.

Edited by rogan

rock down to jaycar or tricky dicky, and have a look at the small electronics toolkits, they have some very small needle nose pliers in them typically that you can get into places like that and pull them out...

Was it Kermit?

You maybe able to push them back out from behind with a pin or something?

Bit hard to tell from the pictures but if the pin that's left in the socket is hollow you might be able to get a very small "easy-out" (reverse threaded tap) to bite into it and pull it out...

Edited by bravo
No need to quote the pics. just makes it hard to read.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I ended up taking it to the good bastards at Trends car stereos and they fixed it for me free of charge in about 2 minutes.