Sign in to follow this  
Subway

Rebuilding EDC and SLS Shock e38 730iL

On my 730iL the rear EDC and SLS shock was "weeping" as such, so I have rebuilt the shock with new seals, however, ive gotten to the point where I need to refill the shock and reinstall it, but I cant for the life of me find a bleed valve. Should I just fill the shock to the top and let the hydaulic system repressurise the shock? Anyone had any experience rebuilding the shock? TIA

You just reinstall it and top up the power steering fluid with LHM oil, run the motor for 10 mins... road test and recheck oil level...doing it to manufacturers specifications.

Who repaired the shock ??

You just reinstall it and top up the power steering fluid with LHM oil, run the motor for 10 mins... road test and recheck oil level...doing it to manufacturers specifications.

Who repaired the shock ??

I repaired it myself. A couple of the top seals had perished, and I replaced them with Boge replacements. Just clarifying as it has a seperate hydarulic fluid reservoir, considering the recon work ive done I dont want to risk just installing it full without bleeding it if I need to.

Cheers for the prompt reply btw, ill be posting a guide about how to rebuild them once ive finished mine.

E38 hydraulic shocks are pressurised by the power steering pump...how is yours different ? You dont need to bleed them before installation. Fit, start car, allow to run at 1,500rpm for 5 minutes... road test and recheck level

Edited by *Glenn*

E38 hydraulic shocks are pressurised by the power steering pump...how is yours different ? You dont need to bleed them before installation. Fit, start car, allow to run at 1,500rpm for 5 minutes... road test and recheck level

Ok so to recap, reinstall shock that has no fluid in it, refit wheel etc, start the car and let the pump refill the shock keeping the reservoir topped up with CHF 11s? Or do I pre fill the shock?

Edited by Subway

No need to fill the shock...just dont start & drive. Each shock has an accumulator to fill and they self bleed. Do you understand the level check system ? when checking resevour level after bleeding ??

I dont understand the level check system no. Any idea tips? Im a competent engineer, just not that knowledgable when it comes to BMW's

After you have started the car and run it for 5 minutes @1500rpm. Turn the engine off, pump the brake pedal at least 20 times and recheck the power steering fluid level. It should be just showing about 3mm above the gauze inside the resevoir. The brakes, power steering & suspension run on the same hydraulics. Start the car again and the level should drop. Drive the vehicle for 5-10 km and repeat the oil level check.

BTW: Good luck with the repair.. no one I know has been able to do this sucessfully

After you have started the car and run it for 5 minutes @1500rpm. Turn the engine off, pump the brake pedal at least 20 times and recheck the power steering fluid level. It should be just showing about 3mm above the gauze inside the resevoir. The brakes, power steering & suspension run on the same hydraulics. Start the car again and the level should drop. Drive the vehicle for 5-10 km and repeat the oil level check.

BTW: Good luck with the repair.. no one I know has been able to do this sucessfully

Cheers for the advice. Any reason why the others havent been successful in repairing them?