Sign in to follow this  
camera doctor

Computer Netwrokign Gurus....

My Accountant is putting me onto a new Web Based Cashbook system, so I thought I’d actually use the Laptop that the business paid for, for work !!

So…. I need to add wireless to our network at work.

Currently we have a ADSL Modem / 1 port Router going thru a 15 Port Switch, all wired.

If I add a Wireless unit at the end of one of the switches cables, this SHOULD give me wireless, but a bit of quick Googling suggests that using a Wireless router is not the BEST solution.

But – I can get a wireless router a lot cheaper than an access point – I guess they sell more, hence lower cost!

The suggestions on the net is that I turn off DHCP on the wireless unit, and set the gateway to the router address – I can’t see why this would cause any issues – perhaps when they say it is not ideal, they are talking about networks with heavy traffic??

Your thoughts?

You don't want to have DHCP issuing devices on the same network. The DHCP if you don't know assigns the network address for the devices you have on the network, i.e. printers, pcs, etc...

A lot of the wireless devices you can put into access point mode, i've done it at home with my setup

You don't want to have DHCP issuing devices on the same network. The DHCP if you don't know assigns the network address for the devices you have on the network, i.e. printers, pcs, etc...

A lot of the wireless devices you can put into access point mode, i've done it at home with my setup

Cheers Heath,

So, what you are saying that is I disable DHCP on the 2nd Router ( the wireless one ) then I should be all good ?

:P:unsure:

haha opps.. you don't want TWO DHCP issuing devices on the same network.

If all you want is a wireless access point then yeah get a router that you can set in access point mode, and set the security up and away you go.

But – I can get a wireless router a lot cheaper than an access point – I guess they sell more, hence lower cost!

The suggestions on the net is that I turn off DHCP on the wireless unit, and set the gateway to the router address – I can’t see why this would cause any issues – perhaps when they say it is not ideal, they are talking about networks with heavy traffic??

Your thoughts?

yep as Heath said, just get a wireless router and basically turn that into your access point

piece of cake to set up and a lot cheaper, but if you're setting it up for the first time it may take a while to work it out

I've had this set up in a number of flats with pc numbers ranging from 2 to 10 (yea we had a few geeky mates bringing their pc's around too) and have had no issues with speed, access to the internet or transfering files between computers or gaming

Yeah just get a router, and not use the "WAN/Internet" port, and disable DHCP. works good. that's how I have mine setup.

and not use the "WAN/Internet" port,

ooo yea very important piece of info there

I'm running 4 computers and two scanners at work... all on secure wireless system + bluetooth, using the office PC as the server. It works a treat and is secure. Don't ask me how it was set up though, I can give the contact number to my IT guy if anyone is interested... Makes me laugh when I boot up in the mornings though... and see the list of unsecure servers in the area. I accidentally had my top office PC connected to someone elses by mistake.

was setting up my mate's gf's laptop and wireless router, could hook into at least 3 neighbours connections

same at home too when setting up my gf's new laptop

my mate in his old place, he never paid for internet in the 18 months he lived there because his neighbour had a nice unsecured wireless connection

I'm running 4 computers and two scanners at work... all on secure wireless system + bluetooth, using the office PC as the server. It works a treat and is secure. Don't ask me how it was set up though, I can give the contact number to my IT guy if anyone is interested... Makes me laugh when I boot up in the mornings though... and see the list of unsecure servers in the area. I accidentally had my top office PC connected to someone elses by mistake.

Yes the number of people running unsecured wireless is amazing, especially when it is so easy to setup. Or the amount of people still using WEP, you may aswell hang a ethernet cable out your window.

Edited by turboprop