Sign in to follow this  
turboprop

E30 Bushings

The bushings in my E30 are compltely shot (so are the shocks, but thats another story).

So im thinking about doing the back first, now im thinking about solid aluminium subframe bushes and 75D urethane trailing arm bushes, and a delrin diff bush. Now im wondering if the subframe bushings are going to be to stiff, I dont mind any road noise or anything like that. But does it add too much stress to the body with bumps and what not?

Does anyone have any experiance with solid subframe bushings, or should I just get some urethane ones and save some $$ at the same time?

Edit: wrong words in places.

Edited by turboprop

Urethane rear subframe bushes cause enough vibration, after installing mine I noticed a difference. I would hate to think how bad a solid mounted rear sub frame would be. Is the car a road/track/bit of both?

If you want to buy Delrin, your man to talk to is Henry, username: Incary, he has the majority of the underside bushes of his car done in it. He can give advice, prices etc.

Good luck in getting it sorted.

- Nathan

Edited by Forrest

DD at the moment, go to track once suspension is sorted.

If the solid ones are really that bad I will go urethane. I dont mind a bit of harshness / noise.

DD at the moment, go to track once suspension is sorted.

If the solid ones are really that bad I will go urethane. I dont mind a bit of harshness / noise.

I love it when people say that :P

im thinking about solid aluminium subframe bushes and 75D urethane trailing arm bushes, and a delrin diff bush

Sounds good. Delrin is 75D urethane by the way. Just 75D all 3 parts and you'll have zero movement.

Yeah, im just gonna go with 75d on everything, and some offset CA bushes aswell.

I think the alloy subframe bushes would be a bit too much especially on NZ roads or any road other than a race track.

Wouldn't bother with Aluminium - and you're also replacing an elastomeric bush with a metallic bush - no room for a bit of tolerance anymore.

75D Poly/Delrin are fine for the rear subframe.

Wouldn't bother with Aluminium - and you're also replacing an elastomeric bush with a metallic bush - no room for a bit of tolerance anymore.

75D Poly/Delrin are fine for the rear subframe.

At the risk of sounding dense, what does '75D' mean in terms of Urethane? I assume it refers to the density? Any guide for this sort of thing?

Off the top of my head it's measured by pressing a sharpish 5kg weight into the compound and seeing how much it sinks in. The more it sinks , the lower the rating.

And wiki says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shore_durometer

4.5kg for D, or .8kg for A, close enough ahaa.

Maybe this will help how it is rated..

http://www.gallaghercorp.com/i/pb-06-a.jpg

Off the top of my head it's measured by pressing a sharpish 5kg weight into the compound and seeing how much it sinks in. The more it sinks , the lower the rating.

And wiki says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shore_durometer

4.5kg for D, or .8kg for A, close enough ahaa.

Thanks guys, I'd forgotten all about this!

So looking at the two sites, what range of harness would rubber and polyurethane bushings be? I mean, if there are 75D bushes, how much harder from there would be too hard and too soft? I mean, would 75D be used for racing, and if not, what generally would be? What sort of rating would OEM rubber bushes be in direct comparison with poly bushes? (I know that they're on a different rating as they are rubber, but obviously they are used as they are harder, hence the question). Thanks! :)

Edited by Sick Puppy