Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

Where the hell do the prices come from.

Its easier to get tyres on bigger rims because they have more stretch. Who's ever tried to get a tyre off a Mini rim? Its near impossible

Fuu. I paid like $10 fitted and balanced tyre onto a 17"..

But I have a mate who works in a tyre shop his dad owns over in Napier.. Get mean deals on tyres and fitting.

Edited by westy

Its easier to get tyres on bigger rims because they have more stretch. Who's ever tried to get a tyre off a Mini rim? Its near impossible

Thats coz you gotta do it back to front ie take tyre off from the inside edge and put on same way.

Most tyre shops will charge more if they are fitting tyres you have supplied.

Try this for pricing then... I bought 2 tyres of Johno today.. his tyre machine is faulty at the moment

Took them to a Tyre Company today (No Names) Cost me $70 incl. to fit 2 19" tyres .. trade ??? Virtually got told to suck it up. Thats what they all charge now ??

Had tyres fitted & balance for $17 at my local greenlane firestone and $13.5 (trade) at a independent grey lynn tyre shop. Fitting & balancing is certainly making lots of money for those guys who charges $35 at trade. Wouldn't want to come across that shop...

That comment is so far from the truth it is not funny :D Shannon just about choked on his beer when he read that.

From a professional tyre shops view:

The bigger the tyre, generally speaking the lower the profile tyre which makes it a lot harder. A lot of tyre shops now do not have the machines capable of doing such large diameter rims.

Unfortunately Glenn was charged an over the top rate, which understandably leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

We are just about to land a tyre machine worth over $10k specifically to make life easier for our tyre fitters. It is a leverless machine and can do up to 30" wheels! ie you don't need to use tyre levers to fit or strip the tyres. It even has it's own little camera so you can see the back of the wheel, and a mechanised lift system so place the wheel on the machine. It certainly makes life alot easier than lifting 30kg + wheels and tyres.

What alot of people don't take into account or realise is the hidden costs involved in fitting such as the cost of labour, the cost of the weights, tyre lube, valves etc. Stick on lead weights are not cheap! We would spend at least $5k a year on weights and valves etc. We pay very good money to get a top of the line fitter, and he is worth every penny.

We also have to pay $1.50 + GST to dispose of a tyre, which we wear the cost of. When you are fitting over 100 tyres a week, that is $150 extra cost per week or $7800 a year!

We include all fitting and balancing in the price if we are supplying the tyre. IF we are to fit someone else's tyre we generally charge more (but no more than $25 for fitting and balancing) - I would hazard a guess and say that if we charge $25 for a low profile tyre we would probably make $5 NETT PROFIT after all costs have been factored in. That is roughly 20% which I think is very reasonable.

There are heaps of cheap tyres available on the net but by the time you take into account the extra cost of freight and fitting and balancing generally speaking you are better to buy directly from a tyre shop.

Edited by zenetti