Sign in to follow this  
Jezza

Lost my spark

Hey there

My old 525ee has decided it doesn't want to work anymore and I'm hoping there is someone here who might be able to help me.

The 12V feed to the coil on my motor has died and I'm not sure what could be responsible for it. I don't think it's a fuse as this problem has occurred twice now and the car kicked back into life last time.

Does anyone have a good understanding of the m20 electrical system and would possibly know why it's lost power at the coil?

Cheers

Dodgy main relay?

yes check that .

also the ecu's can develop dry joints in them , around the main output trasistor for the coil etc .

also check the crank sensors and plugs from around the gearbox bell housing .

Cheers for the input, I will have a stab at it when the weather fines up. Is the main relay found in the fuse box or does it have its own location?

I've just had a play around and found that the coil does have 12V at the positive line in, so no power/relay issues. The coil itself has 0.8 ohms across the primary coil and 5600 ohms across the secondary coil which seems alright as well. I also checked the ground for the coil and found something a little suspect. It has around 6000 ohms resistance while the engine is stationary. Is that normal? I thought that was supposed to be a 'clean' ground with 0 ohms resistance until the ecu cuts it temporarily while the spark plug fires.

Can anyone verify if the ground line off the coil is supposed to have any resistance?

Cheers

It wont have any ground until the engine is running, thats how the ECU controls it, by grounding it.

If it was grounded while the engine was not running it would overheat and burnout.

Oh OK, seems obvious now. :rolleyes:

Can I test the ground using a resistor/l.e.d or will the pulse be to fast? Is there any other way of testing it?

Edited by Junkers

coils give very little trouble in these cars .

check those crank sensors and also remove the ecu , and open it up and check for dry joints

Back with some updates.

I have taken the ecu out and have inspected it. No dry joints to be found. Have taken out both crank angle sensors (I can't understand why there are two?) and checked them across pins 1 and 2. Both have around 1000 ohms resistance which sounds fine.

Is there anything else I can check or am I going to have to go through the process of elimination? Does anyone one know why there might be two crank angle sensors or maybe what the second sensor is actually for?

Thanks

Problem solved!

Turns out after a closer inspection that there was a very fine hairline split in the solder joint of one of the transistor connections.

Thanks very much for your help!

Edited by Junkers