Sign in to follow this  
charles28

My small 2 day/1nite 1000km Road Trip

Yesterday at 7am we left for Queenstown (From CHCH) in the mighty 320i auto E30, we stopped on the way at Cromwell for lunch, but other than that went straight there, had already booked in for the night at the Heritage via wotif.com, had a look look around Queenstown, (although we were there for 4 days in August anyway lol) booked to go on $95 each 1 Hour Jetboat Ride for the next morning as we hadn't got around to doing that last time we were at Queenstown..went out for dinner etc.

Next morning had a good breakie at one of the local eating places, then went on Jetboat ride, did alot of 360 degree spins etc, got soaked, but it was alot of fun, after that we headed for Wanaka (over the Crowne Range), as I wanted to have a look at the Transport Museum, spent a bit of time looking around, alot of interesting things indeed, even managed to find an E30 325i Ragtop covered in bird crap etc, pretty sure that it was the only BMW car there, may have been a bike or 2, but I didn't take much notice of the bikes, was also an old Porsche 924 that I spotted, (another car i'd own lol), the main reason we went is that Jacinta (my partner) wanted to see the Fiat 126, as for some reason unknown to me she wants one, sadly it was in a rather sorry state, but it may have put her off them.. hopefully.

All in all the Car went well on the trip, be it a little gutless for overtaking, the traffic wasn't actually that bad anyway, Car is a heavy drinker though, used $84 to get there and about the same back, alot more than my WRX used lol.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice! sounds like a fun trip.

I think I've been to that musem before in the past (use to live in alexandra back in the day).

My 320i Was pretty hard on fuel too... What sort of revs were you doing at 100kph?

Nice! sounds like a fun trip.

I think I've been to that musem before in the past (use to live in alexandra back in the day).

My 320i Was pretty hard on fuel too... What sort of revs were you doing at 100kph?

100k on the GPS was about 2900rpm (speedo showed 95km) this is due to having 205/60/15 tyres instead of 205/55/15's, I had the GPS sitting at 109km most of the way, meaning that I was doing just over 3000rpm most of the time.

My 325i only needs just over 2500rpm at 100km, but thats a manual and would have a medium case diff.

Its a good drive to queenstown aye! gotta be carefull on those big straights haha

I took the E39 there... it loved it, travelled so nice, would have been better with good matching tyres i'd imagine, would love to do it again some time soon thats for sure

Nice road trip, ive just driven from CHCH to Auckland..........it was long fast trip :)