Sign in to follow this  
tire

E30 fan clutch (how to)

So the temp gauge on the e30 starts creeping up a bit after a few sets of traffic lights. It sits dead on halfway when cruising so I'm pretty sure its the fan clutch.

I picked up a decent looking one the other day off a mate. I can't find any links and I'm on my 7th page of bs search results with no luck so can someone link me to a guide as to how to replace it?

Oh and how hard is it to replace? Doable in a couple of hours after work?

Oh oh and what alternatives are there to using the special bmw 30something mm spanner to undo the big nut thing?

Cheers.

*i think* we used a pair of slip-jaws on the bolt, and a screwdriver to hold the fan stationary.

Rember, It's reverse thread so lefty-tighty righty-loosy.

Probably wouldn't be that hard to replace once you get the radiator out. Mine was removed with the engine out the car.

Ive found the best way is a skinny monkey wrench or whatever else happens to fit in there, and then just whack the end with a hammer. I've never needed to hold anything still/jam anything up since after a few good whacks the shock undoes it on it's own.

I've also gotten into the habit of sticking some wheel bearing grease on the threads when I install the new one so it never bakes in and always comes out on the first try.

Clutch fan is a 5 minute job. Slap on an adjustable wrench, useless for just about everything except this. Give it a tight wack in the CORRECT direction, unscrew. Replace, tighten. Done.

Edited by QuickSilver

32mm bike headset wrench is perfect for this.. The gap requires a thin wrench to fit in there and hold the bolt..

Had to remove those 10mm bolts waterpump side to fit the justy wrench in but yea, pretty easy job. Shame the replacement is buggered too..

after further reading, the only reason why I had to hold it is because We had allready gone and disconnected the belts...