Sign in to follow this  
RvT

How to remove Adhesive from old Vinyl signage?

Just about to sell a work truck so spent the day removing the old vinyl signs of the truck sides. The vinyl was put on 8 years ago so it is aged. After trying a few techniques including heat guns, I managed to remove all the vinyl sign writing & backing vinyl BUT the adhesive glue won't play ball and remove itself.

I have tried a few things around the garage like Meths, Mineral Turps, Super Solvent, petrol with varying degrees of success. Super Solvent is the best option but it takes ages 10 minutes to do a 20cm square and I have a whole truck to de-glue.

Anyone care to suggest something that will do the job quicker as I want to get the job done Asap.

Cheers

Ron

have you tried grease and adheasive remover?

Not as yet. What is the Brand name and where is is available from ... Mitre 10? Repco ?

Use isopropryl alcohol (sp) the best thing thats what we use in the print trade, sourced from print suppliers.

Just about to sell a work truck so spent the day removing the old vinyl signs of the truck sides. The vinyl was put on 8 years ago so it is aged. After trying a few techniques including heat guns, I managed to remove all the vinyl sign writing & backing vinyl BUT the adhesive glue won't play ball and remove itself.

I have tried a few things around the garage like Meths, Mineral Turps, Super Solvent, petrol with varying degrees of success. Super Solvent is the best option but it takes ages 10 minutes to do a 20cm square and I have a whole truck to de-glue.

Anyone care to suggest something that will do the job quicker as I want to get the job done Asap.

Cheers

Ron

There is a product called DeSolveIt, or some really similar name, that can be bought at the supermarket. It smells like orange and is awesome at taking off adhesive gum. I have used it a lot on fibreglass. However, you might need a fair bit on a whole truck.

When removing the sound deadening in my race car I found desolve it was pretty mild compared to this other stuff.

Check out Repco. ask for 'Grease and Adheasive Remover' costs about $12-15 and comes in a tin can. Really did the trick for me. Have used it when removing graphics as well. Did a great job. Has been useful on a number of occassions actually.

Continue with petrol or better isoprophylene alcohol (only sold to trades such as window cleaners and signwriters), trick is to soak the glue (completely soak your rag and pat all over glue in about a 20cmx20cm area at a time) once soaked, let it sit for about 30seconds, get a second rag and wipe glue off. Even better purchase a plastic scraper and scrape off. Sucks to be you buddy!

Thanks everyone for the advise.

I love taking on jobs like this in the stat days when I have time to do these crappy jobs in the sun and find that all the shops I need to be open are closed ....

For the record ...

DeSolvit works slightly but only takes off the top layer and leaves the scum behind requiring a few more passes

Kero is only good for lighting fires ...

Thinners worked better but dry out too quickly and require more passes over so teddious job

Repco (local branch) told me to "go fish" as they didn't have the grease & adhesive remover

Isoprophylene Alcohol looks like it may be the product of choice but no-one will stock it except the chemist in pathetic sized bottles who also decided to shut at noon today just to piss me off so can't try it out even ...

The plastic scrapper is the tool of choice so far and M325is, thanks for the procedure and knowledge. Will continue the quest more likely after the stats when I have no free time again .

Again cheers for the advise everyone :rolleyes:

I use a product called Fuelite, from Andrew's. Available from most hardware outlets in the paint section. Works very much like iso, and won't harm the paint. Soak and wipe, same as iso, keep changing your rag as well, as it will get clogged with the glue and not work properly.

I also use fuelite.

Can get it from any hardware store for under $15. Evaporates really quick too so won't leave poo marks everywhere.

SCA sells wax and grease remover, think it is a septone product, thats what I used for the sound deadening in the race car and it worked really well.

100% alcohol. if it still wont come off, drink it and forget it was ever there

I got some Amazing Haste - Wax and Grease remover from Auckland Engineering Supplies the other day and it was fantastic. Did the whole car and used bugger all...

The worst places needed 2 or 3 runs at it but it came very very easy.

TMK Packers LTD make/distribute/package it as per the label...

FYI- If you're removing old vinyl graphics from vehicles a wall paper steamer is the easiest way to pull it off with alnost all the adhesive.