Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

E30 Key/Start Help

So I have just refitted the top black plastic piece of trim which covers the top of the lock barrel, steering column etc on a e30.

In doing this, the orange plastic plug type thing that the wires run off on the LHS of the lock barrel on the steering column came off, so I refitted it with the lock piece slid back into it and now the car will not start and I am just welcomed to a buzzing noise with the turn of the key.

What have I broken? Fuse/Relay/The whole car.

Sorry in advance for the poor description, kinda need it sorted asap.

Cheers, Nathan

take the trim back off. remove the plug and inspect all the wires and plugs. also check the tab where it interlocks into the back of the barrel. did it short out on the collum at all when it came off?

^ Potentially could've shorted. What does that mean? It feels like a flat battery when you turn the key but all the dash lights light up etc apart from the service indicators if that means anything? All the soldered points and the tabs look fine.

Yup checked all the fuses. Found I blew a resistor up in the flasher relay not that it should be related. And I am pretty sure its getting power to the key because all the lights still light up etc.

This is the second day in a row bimmersport fail thread......where is my crown? Had the brake light sensor wires round the wrong way, so when I was off the brakes the lights were on, so battery is flat, so car won't start. Fail. The only reason I didn't notice is because I have a kill switch for the battery and didn't think it would go flat that fast. Now to see if I can start it with a new battery...