Sign in to follow this  
aliluya

Ipod for BMW

check this out guys ..

IPOD

iPod your BMW. 

25/01/2005 12:13

BMW South Africa has announced the local availability of the BMW iPod Adapter, the first seamless integration between iPod and a car audio system.

The system developed by the BMW Group and Apple enables drivers to seamlessly use their iPod in BMW's 3 Series, Z4 Roadster, X3 and X5 Sports Activity vehicles as well as MINI Cooper and Cooper S models by simply plugging their iPod into a cable located in the car's glove compartment.

Drivers can thus enjoy high fidelity sound through their car's stereo system and control their iPod using the standard buttons on their BMW or MINI steering wheel.

Phil Horton, BMW South Africa's marketing director, echoed Apple's sentiments, adding that, "BMW has once again taken the technological lead by offering customers the ultimate seamless digital music experience."

"The Apple iPod is the definitive music player on the market today. It has revolutionised the music industry with its massive popular appeal, allowing users to experience their music at all times and in all places, and now in their cars," said Rutger Jan van Spaandonk, executive director of Apple IMC in Southern Africa.

The seamless integration of iPod makes it effortless for drivers to control their music through their existing audio system and the multifunction steering wheel.

The BMW iPod Adapter enables drivers to easily access their entire music library, shuffle songs, skip between tracks and adjust volume all of this with no loss of sound quality or driving control.

Drivers can also create up to five unique "BMW playlists" to listen to while on the road enabling them to enjoy their favorite songs at the touch of a button.

The BMW iPod Adapter integrates Apple's iPod and iPod mini through a direct connection in the glovebox, providing outstanding sound quality and constant power to the iPod.

The BMW iPod Adapter is available at the recommended selling price of R1 250 plus installation cost. Installation is performed by authorised BMW and MINI dealers only.

Converted it costs just under $300NZD to buy the converter, i'm seriously thinking about going into cookies to get me one of those converters now ... If it's even been released here yet ..

I believe this may only work for certain yrs or 3's, have a search on e46fanatics.com..i cant remember what the story is, even so if you wanted to do it, its can be done other ways.

I beleive it's on certain headunits .. i think it only works on the business head deck as that's one of the only 3'r that has an Aux input ....

my friends dad has this in his new pajero and he plug in in the glove box and he just uses it with the latest alpine head deck

IPOD has a plug that can just be pluged on to the back of an aux in on any headdeck ... but what i like about the BMW one is the fact that you can control it via the streering wheel buttons ...

It only works with the e46 3 series (02 onwards), z4, new 5, new 7, new 6, X series and new 1.

Its to do with the BMW CAMBus system .. which im finding you can do more and more with ...

I have all the info at home .. ill host it and post it when I get home tonight ..

Edited by hybrid

CamBus ??

Excellent it would work on my car .. :lol:

Yeah it would be grealy appreciated if you did post up about it ..

CamBus ??

Excellent it would work on my car .. :lol:

Yeah it would be grealy appreciated if you did post up about it ..

no probs man

CAMBus is a standard adpoted by the automotive industry its basically a twin-pair serial communications standard ... its what your ECU readers use to talk to the car computer etc etc ... BMW use it to communicate with everything in the car, The US Nav system uses it to communicate with the box in the boot (trunk ;) ) and the CD / DVD changer. You can do things like change whats displayed on the CD player LCD etc etc

Alpine have a full-on control unit for the I-pod. Talk to Rob @ Rapid Radio. It was only around $700 for the head unit I think.

Why would you want to use a low quality format when you have a CD? I tried running an I-pod through my home stereo against the CD and the loss of information is significant.

I like the I-pod, but it is a glorified walkman, nothing more.

My 2c worth.

because iPod holds 1000 songs and cd only has maybe 15. I get really sick of changing a cd every hour. Also cds get scratched (especially in cd stackers), lost and stolen.

Also if you use a high bit rate the quality drop is almost not noticable.

has any one tired the ipod car system,i think ithe ipod plugs into a very small radio transmitter and your radio picks it up.......????

has any one tired the ipod car system,i think ithe ipod plugs into  a very small radio transmitter and your radio picks it up.......????

If your into qaulity .. listening to your music broadcast over radio signal is the worst way. Yes mp3 has lossey compression. However Ipod support apples Lossless compression format .. so you get the best of both worlds, no frequency loss and maximism space. (just use Itunes on ya PC/Mac and your set)

For me .. I'll be installing the alpine unit as my car is a 2k1 (my e46 isnt compatible with the BMW Ipod inteface) found this out after doing all the research :/

ok the Doc for installing the Ipod (BTW these kits come with no instructions (these are those instructions the dealership has)

http://dc.nzbattlefield.com/images/hostedi...structions1.jpg

http://dc.nzbattlefield.com/images/hostedi...structions2.jpg

http://dc.nzbattlefield.com/images/hostedi...structions3.jpg

http://dc.nzbattlefield.com/images/hostedi...structions4.jpg

http://dc.nzbattlefield.com/images/hostedi...structions5.jpg

http://dc.nzbattlefield.com/images/hostedi...structions6.jpg

and the DYI for the dicky plug

http://dc.nzbattlefield.com/images/hostedi...odconverter.doc

hope that helps

Edited by hybrid

has any one tired the ipod car system,i think ithe ipod plugs into a very small radio transmitter and your radio picks it up.......????

I am already using one of them .. and they are not the best things around .. that is why i would prefer a hard cabled version ...

Its to do with the BMW CAMBus system .. which im finding you can do more and more with ...

I have all the info at home .. ill host it and post it when I get home tonight ..

:wacko: caMbus system?? :wacko:

Last time i worked with it (yesterday) it was called the CAN Bus system, unless BMW like to make their own names for international standard protocols!

ok some patience for old skool dude plse!.

I have an old sony system in my 535 with cd player in the boot quality is good but cd player skips like (*&^%$# and wont play some cds at all.I will prolly one day upgrade the head unit.I have an AUX input,must be o the back of the unitCould i hook up a cable to my laptop to get say an itunes playlist on a long trip.?

sorry for bringing up an old post...but that thing is f**king gay, you can listen to your i-pod on any radio, by pluging in the a connection to the i-pod that allows you to tune the i-pod to a radio station. like those CD stackers that you listen to through a radio station

and i just quickly flick though the other post, so if some1 has already mentioned it, soz and my bad :D

Edited by 1N STYL

I have one of those tuner thingys already and the quality is no where near comparable to a hard wired version ... And the fact that you can control the ipod on the streering wheel is awesome ...

BTW .. i've enquired cookes about installing an aux-in for the car and they say it's $300 ... about $180 for the module and 2 hours labour .... still deciding whether i should get it ... this is not the specific one for IPOD's .. it's just for general RCA in's ...