Sign in to follow this  
tonylauno1

e46 drive-by-wire vs throttle cable

Just found out that early e46 like 328ci have throttle cable and later e46 like 330ci have drive-by-wire.

All instructions found on retrofitting cruise control are on later e46. Is it the same when retrofitting on a early e46 with throttle cable?

Have just order the wiring harness from Germany, hope I can stop it in time if it is different.

sh*t happens doing this sort of thing...research, research before spending ???

And only talk to people who have done it with success.. and keep off US forums as there cars can be quite different. UK forums are safer

sh*t happens doing this sort of thing...research, research before spending ???

And only talk to people who have done it with success.. and keep off US forums as there cars can be quite different. UK forums are safer

It's a case of what you don't know that you don't know :)

Yes, that's right Euro BMW are a safer bet rather than US BMW. Wise words, "only talk to people who have done it with success". Will have to learn it the hard way this time.

Maybe too late to stop parts from Germany but I'm sure there are plenty of e46 M54 engine owners who I can sell the cable and steering wheel to.

Edited by tonylauno1

Cruise control on the different spec cars is so much different ie: Fly by wire and cable throttle bodies. I cant see how you can mix & match two different systems.. show me though.. I really enjoy being wrong because I can learn from it to... I'm definately not going to research it for you though... because I really dont need to know... untill I get asked, and then I'll quote your problems or results. Good luck with the project though... I realy hope you get the results without wasting too much money

Oh no, I wasn't implying that you could do the research for me, just hoping there was a M52TU owner who could say "Yes I have done it".

What I meant was while researching I didn't know that I didn't know early & later e46 have different throttle bodies.

I'll post back when I can confirm that it works or not :)

I know you weren't emplying that I do it for you.. some people actually do though... they think I know every thing.. I don't... I am able to help where I can though. My business services and repairs standard vehicles... we are not the Auck. BMW modifiers.. I learn alot on here as well ... and I enjoy it

Just found out that early e46 like 328ci have throttle cable and later e46 like 330ci have drive-by-wire.

All instructions found on retrofitting cruise control are on later e46. Is it the same when retrofitting on a early e46 with throttle cable?

Have just order the wiring harness from Germany, hope I can stop it in time if it is different.

Always start with the correct Retrofit instructions for your vehicle BEFORE purchasing anything!!

The retrofit instructions list the prerequisites and what parts are required for the car.

I know you weren't emplying that I do it for you.. some people actually do though... they think I know every thing.. I don't... I am able to help where I can though. My business services and repairs standard vehicles... we are not the Auck. BMW modifiers.. I learn alot on here as well ... and I enjoy it

:thumbsup: :)

Always start with the correct Retrofit instructions for your vehicle BEFORE purchasing anything!!

The retrofit instructions list the prerequisites and what parts are required for the car.

Ah yes, another great advice... common sense really isn't it :D

So far have found that the M52TU is cable-driven, but it's not conventional, it's also motor-driven. The motor can override the cable in both directions (closes throttle for traction control and opens throttle for cruise control.) The cable is not rigidly fixed to the throttle plate.

Will see if I can get instructions from dealer otherwise will just have to wait till the wiring harness arrives in 2 weeks time.